View Single Post
Old September 6th, 2010, 05:18 AM

Corporal

fantasma is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Vanarus, Machaka Lion Kings etc

I am reading my third novel from Mosambique now, and so far in all of them are plenty of mythological references.

One central theme is the constant interaction with the dead. They can be conjured, have to be taken care of and revered, they can protect or harm.

One of the stories centers about a man seeking power through the aid of the dead. He uses the help of a sorcerer and is granted great power by means of what would translate into fire and death magic. On the other hand there is his son, IIRC, who tries to protect, seeks the way of harmony or healing, acquiring skills in water, earth, air and maybe nature.

And there is this constant theme of cursing, divining the future, summoning spirits, the fear of the dead that still walk our lands and materialize in our dreams unless properly treated.

This is just off the top of my head without further research. Oh and there is this motif of a fanatic primitive warrior tribe fighting naked besides red? body paint that protects them from bullets (there was civil about thirty years ago). Their goal is to stop the marauding bandits and bring peace to the land.

I know there was more, some apocalyptic stuff, big world destroying monsters you know. That was by Paulina Chiziane (I hope I got the spelling right). The other I am just reading is by Mia Couto. I don't know if you can get a translation, I try to read the original to maintain my Portuguese. There are German translations, as far as I know. They make excellent reading, combining mythological aspects, folklore of the people, action, history of the 70s and 80s and social criticism.
The Following User Says Thank You to fantasma For This Useful Post: