View Single Post
Old December 1st, 2010, 01:33 AM

Corporal

dark7element is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Torches in the Night: MA, Newbies (10> mp games) only, CBM 1.7 [6 slots open]

First of all, the thread title was misleading. I've changed it. Anyone who has played fewer than 10 games is welcome to join.

When you look at what changes CBM actually makes, I think you'll find that they are much more pro-newbie than anti-newbie.

I would never want to play a long campaign with vanilla, because you're forced to engage in hefty micromanagement. You have to spend upwards of half an hour shuffling around dwarven hammers, skull mentors, owl quills and such every single turn. Most new players either don't know how to do this effectively or get tired of it quickly.

CBM also attempts to make the various military units more balanced. This helps prevent new players for being de-facto penalized by building underpowered units because they don't know any better.

Lastly, CBM's restrictions on dowsing rods is a desperately needed nerf for blood nations. I'll admit I haven't PLAYED many multiplayer games, but I've read numerous AARs and played a lot of singleplayer. A "properly" (big scare quotes) set-up blood economy is as tedious as it is overpowered, the worst possible combination if you ask me.

CBM isn't a 'specialty' mod. It isn't designed to fundamentally change the game mechanics. It doesn't add or remove any nations. The only purpose of the CBM is to make the game more balanced, and reduce micromanagement. How is THAT bad for new players?
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to dark7element For This Useful Post: