Old December 24th, 2008, 02:20 AM

BANNED USER

Omnirizon is on a distinguished road
Computer Fourth Age screen shots

https://sourceforge.net/projects/fourthage/

FA-0.0.1a : The Storm of Progress
FA-0.0.2a : The Angel of Change
FA-0.0.3a : The Master Arriveth

I've decided to do a naming scheme for FA releases. early on, there's lots of releases, so these could get out of hand. I'll just name them for stuff that happened in the code or was added.

This newest update fixes some sillyness in the sprite movement system, and finally adds all the build methods to the unit factory (however, all the objects built are not really used yet, but they're there and all piled into the unit, which is basically a box of body parts and items as far as the code cares!)

big thing added........ is AI!
the master arriveth. there is now a 'master' class that oversees the creation and control of all computer controlled sprites. it uses mostly generator objects since it is operating constantly as the game is being run (this allows the methods for generation of units and their AI commands to be added as objects held by other objects, and to 'freeze' whenever they are finished with current commands, but to continually be checking for a need to generate another command).

the AI is very simple right now, it only moves the unit to the closes other unit. the big thing is the setup of a way to insert it: with the AI generator objects and a global AI update method. it will be very easy now to add new AIs, play with AI, and test it out. what is really needed is a way for determining what _kind_ of AI each unit should follow. at the moment it is simply hardcoded into the unit instantiation. another possiblity is to have it be part of the unit builds, or perhaps a unit generator attribute (so that all units that generator generates have the same AI, this is actually how nationality works right now).

the new source code is at sourceforge. i won't be adding an .app or .exe until I have the combat basics in place and a wizard mode, then people can test out combat while generating data to use to fine tune it

Last edited by Omnirizon; January 13th, 2009 at 08:47 PM..