View Single Post
Old January 9th, 2009, 02:41 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Thanked 5,438 Times in 2,698 Posts
DRG will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Naval Gun on Land Map

Quote:
Originally Posted by thatguy96 View Post

So vehicles can either be immobilized or destroyed, this was clear, and pretty much always been the case even before the split drop IIRC. My question was effectively, are 100%, destroyed, or immobilized the only status options for a vehicle on drop? Do they take damage (including weapon knock outs) without being immobilized or is this linked to the number of crew that survive landing. I don't think this was the case in the past, but I was curious since there had been this other fiddling around with how vehicle drops work.

I guess I can pretty much answer that question for myself (and I'm pretty sure now I'm remembering things wrong, but I haven't dropped a vehicle in a game in a long time), since to achieve the destruction or immobilization the vehicle has to take some damage, so the drop likely increases the probability of one of these events rather than minor damage. Those instances are likely quite rare. Does the drop potentially knock out weapons though? I would assume so.

As to the specialized "bomb" unit with crew set to 0 (which registers as destroyed), it should still allow for converting ammo carrier units into improvised bombs for those of us who wish to do so. Even before the split the detonation without this was inconsistent at best, which I've already noted. The split should have no effect on such purpose built units, and no effect on the previous inconsistency when using crewed ammo carrier units to try and achieve this.

It appears we could answer these questions all day and still generate more questions so in the spirt of " seeing is believing and understanding" what I would suggest is this:

WW2 has the same code already applied to it that MBT will have when the next patch for it is released in a few months. The simple way to find out how this will work in MBT is to create an air transport in WW2 equivalent to the type of air transports in MBT that would be capable of droping vehicles and some test vehicles in say.... the BLUE OOB.... then proceded to drop them on a map full of hostile forces and watch what happens when they land

Simple.... no ?

It seems much simpler than going over and over the same thing in "hypotheticals"

Don