Thread: Siege Units
View Single Post
Old April 7th, 2006, 06:07 PM

General

NTJedi is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Siege Units

Quote:
Endoperez said:
To sum this up, it seems that you think that it is too easy to break down castle walls, and would rather give defender easy ways to destroy the siege engines that would do most of the wall-breaking job. I don't think such a chance is needed.
In history siege engines are what did most of the outside damage to the fortifications allowing troop units to storm the city or castle. Also it would add a new historically correct strategy to have units on the battlefield which can do heavy long range damage which aren't mages or commanders with magic items.

Quote:
Endoperez said:
The siege engines would also have a role in the battlefield, by targeting enemy rear (hopefully just archers, because fire at mages/commanders was removed for a reason).

Yes mages/commanders could not be targeted, additionally to increase interest siege engines can be setup as unique where only they are allowed to target other enemy siege engines.

Quote:
Endoperez said:
There could also be different effects for different nations, even though this would probably be an even lesser consern as siege engines won't be used much on the battlefield any way.
Correct the siege engines are primarily for storming castles. On another note the siege engines might be useful enough to make the mass-castle strategy less used, thus players would build foritications more logically such as choke points or strong magic sites. I don't know the overall opinion about the mass-castle strategy, but if designed correctly siege units might address this issue.
Also since the main use for these new unit types will be for storming fortifications I don't see them being a great influence on current gameplay.

Quote:
Endoperez said:I quess it comes down to whether a change is needed. Matter of taste.
Well the developers could always make the siege units only available for 3 nations... players could then test and discuss the siege units to determine if it's something useful for all nations.
If time permits I might make this into a Mod and then collect feedback. Thanks for the chat!