View Single Post
Old December 28th, 2004, 11:15 AM

Corporal

ace joh is on a distinguished road
Default Re: DOWW2 - Alpha release

Thanks for the comments!

I'm already working hard (well, quite hard ) on the next Version, with any luck it'll have pretty much every tank&weapon I wanted to be added... In data, not the graphics unfortunately.

light vs heavy tanks : that was the most obvious balance issue, I do have a couple of things in mind :
-First off, infantry has been fixed to resist lightning 100%, and added magic damage to guns, which is alot smaller than a machinegun's magic damage. I first decided against this, as you would have to switch weapons when facing infantry, and DO doesn't really support this (you can't alter equipment when paused, so you'd have to run away)
-experience requirements for heavier tanks will be vastly increased, but currently, as you may have noticed, experience doesn't seem to make much sense anyway (killing a rifle squad gives just as much, or even more (depending on level?) experience as a KV heavy tank, or something like that), so there's not much point in adding this now
-You can't see it, but lighter tanks have much higher attack&defence Ratings than heavier tanks
-unfortunately I can't alter food consumption speed, but the maximum hunger for heavy tanks is intended to be very low, so you'd have to watch it frequently (unlike regular DO games )
-Heavy weapons ammo will be rather rare compared to light guns ammo. Perhaps I'll also increase weight of shells from a big calibre, MG ammo weighs nothing
-obviously, speed of light tanks is better than heavy tanks

Infantry is still not much of a threat, they can't really come near your tank (that's when they become dangerous), but it gives the command car a chance ti kill something himself )

Just noticed I forgot to tell, range of weapons is a stat DO fails to mention, if for some reason you can't seem to shoot, there's 3 possibilities :
1. You're out of ammo
2. You're trying to shoot beyond weapon range, aim closer to your tank (note that bullets will still travel unlimited distance, or so it seems? Range only affects how far away from your tank you'll be able to start clicking, making targetting a bit harder)
3. You found a bug, congrats, don't forget to report it

edit : also, a walther P38 has a range of 1, this means you'll have to stand right next to an enemy, else it won't do anything at all.