View Single Post
Old January 3rd, 2012, 04:58 PM

National Security Advisor

Edi is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Conquest of Elysium 3 dev log

I think that as far as my posts earlier in the thread are concerned, you need to go back and read the lot of it again if you think I have been dismissive of the concerns raised here.

My contributions to this thread have mainly been answering questions, often in quite detailed manner and trying to be as precise as possible without going to novel length posts to do it.

I explained to you at length why the concerns about recruitment micro were unfounded. That's the only one. The combat sequence issue that nordlys brought up has been raised with the devs, with the points brought up in this thread all put in there.

The distribution channel discussion is speculation in its entirety and people are free to hold any opinion they like on that issue. I have made clear which is the least favorite for me, but I'm open about the remaining options.

As for other suggestions, yes, the YouTube video suggestions have been noted and I at least have considered trying to learn enough about making one. Since I've never once done any video recording or editing of any sort and my YouTube-fu is limited to being able to find some songs I like there and listening to them, it might not happen instantly.

To date, time constraints have prevented me from trying to do anything about it, since what time I have had has mostly been tied up with the following stuff:

- Work
- Family
- CoE3 testing and debugging
- CoE3 manual
- CoE3 map editor guide
- Preparations for the upcoming trip to Thailand (departure tomorrow)

So there might be something at some point. Can't promise when. But if anyone starts acting like it is obligatory for us to produce a YouTube video, the likelihood that I will do so is going to start approaching zero in short order.

As far as influencing what happens with CoE3, a lot of suggestions from the beta testers have been incorporated and implemented, most of it being either user interface stuff or things that reduce micro or in some cases things that improve visuals (other than unit graphics, so I guess it could be counted as UI stuff). If I had to go back to the first version I was testing from the current one, I'd be tearing my hair (what little remains of it) out in frustration because of the lack of all the stuff that makes life easier that has been added since.

Thing is, mostly we have worked with the existing mechanics and have not suggested anything that requires drastic rewrites of large blocks of code.

Suggestions from here (other than the YouTube video requests) have mainly tended to stuff that would require large rewrites or content wise is something that may or may not appear (either at release or in a later patch) or else have been related to the distribution issue. Other than that last one, the likelihood of the suggestions being implemented is often either completely or in part related to the amount of work required.

The other factor there is what kind of vision Kristoffer and Johan have for CoE3. If a particular suggestion goes against that, there is nothing that can make it viable. Absolutely nothing.

My aim here in this thread is to answer questions about the game to the best of my ability, but if a suggestion is something that has roughly a snowball's chance in hell of happening (because of all the work and changes it would require), I'm not afraid to say so.

I'm trying to serve Illwinter's interests as well as those of the people who are interested in this game and just going "Mmmhmm, yeah, that's good" even if I know something to the contrary isn't going to help anyone.

I hope that clears things up as to where I stand with regard to the discussion of CoE3 development. In any case, I will not be participating in this discussion for the next week and a half due to the aforementioned trip abroad.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Edi For This Useful Post: