View Single Post
Old January 4th, 2009, 02:50 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Gandalf Parker is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Dom3Minions RandomMaps (again)

Since people have had a chance to look at some of these, Im considering some changes which will affect the load on my system and the generating times of the maps. What do people think of:

Is the smaller view used for tiling adequate to see the maps features? Only creating one jpg of the map would help things alot.

Do many people have a problem with the linux version of the .map file? The way it creates a single string of text out of everything when viewed in an editor like NotePad. I could run each one thru a converter to DOS/Windows text mode before zipping it up.

Do many people have a problem with the size of the files for the larger maps? Should I make them larger? (to get rid of the fuzziness) or maybe run them thru a color reducer? (would lost some of the photographic quality, look more grainy, but be smaller files)

How many people make extensive use of map modifiers or annotators? Enough that I should run every map thru it and add another .map file to the zip for each one? Examples would be SemiRand, or NoIndys, or programs to put english labels to the terrain numbers (plains, forest, mountains, etc) into the .map file, or programs to set better start/nostart positions, or a province count file (how many forest, mountain, start, nostart etc are already set in the file).
This game is NOT suitable for students, interns, apprentices, or anyone else who is expected to pass tests on a regular basis. Do not think about strategies while operating heavy machinery. Before beginning this game make arrangements for someone to check on you daily. If you find that your game has continued for more than 36 hours straight then you should consult a physician immediately (Do NOT show him the game!)