View Single Post
Old April 14th, 2012, 11:49 AM

Second Lieutenant

legowarrior is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Nap-3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calahan View Post
@ legowarrior

Your idea of how NAP agreements are cancelled has been suggested before.

http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/showthread.php?t=40012

Unfortunately (in regards to the merit of the idea) it was suggested by the all time master Court Jester and all round laughing stock of the community, and was wildly regarded as one of the stupidest ideas ever seen on these forums (which was a real achievement considering the regularity he came up with such rubbish).

It was mainly consider bad because it's easily possible in just 3 turns (typical length of NAPs) to have conquered every enemy province, and have every fort under siege. So while this idea might work in other games, in Dominions it is just simply out of the question. As if anyone is dumb enough to just sit there and let someone conquer all of their lands, and kill all their troops just to honour an agreement, then they really need their head examined.

And you can try to say that's the price of cancelling a NAP, but when applied to practice it would mean it is virtually impossible to cancel a NAP with an major nation without instantly condemning yourself to defeat. And that scenario is seriously terrible for all sorts of obvious reasons. Not least becuase enough turlting (and terrible strategic play) goes on anyway, without applying such hand-tieing binds. (as such this idea just won't work in Dominions)

I'm pretty sure you just didn't read the post very well. Obviously 3 turns is enough time to destroy someone, and I'm not suggesting that. Here, allow me to draw your eye to the appropriate spot.

This is the important part "Now as soon as my opponent strikes me, or 3 turns are up (which ever comes first) war begins. "

So, here would be a scenario.

My opponent cancels the NAP 3.
Turn 1 (Turn the message is received) I can order my attacks against my opponent on this turn. If I don't, we both sit on our thumbs, but let us assume that I do attack.
Turn 2 (Opponent has been attacked) My opponent can now retaliate,
and order attacks against me, the NAP is over.
Turn 2 (Opponent hasn't been attacked) My opponent must honor the NAP this turn.
Turn 3 (Opponent has been attacked) My opponent can now retaliate,
and order attacks against me, the NAP is over.
Turn 3 (Opponent hasn't been attacked) My opponent must honor the NAP this turn.
Turn 4 (Doesn't matter) Both sides can go to war.

So, in my suggestion for NAP, I don't just wait 3 turns to be gunned down like a moron if I cancel the NAP. Instead, when I cancel the NAP, I wait 3 turns OR until after I get attacked myself.
This means that the NAP allows your opponent the option of first strike, nothing more.
The Following User Says Thank You to legowarrior For This Useful Post: