View Single Post
Old February 6th, 2021, 03:09 PM

Lieutenant Colonel

MarkSheppard is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Alternate History Scenarios (FEB 2021 - FUSAGIR in Russia)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRG View Post
I have not looked at the scenario yet but it may be an experience issue with the US crews being somewhat on the low side and the SU-85 being somewhat on the high side
Looking at it in ScenHack:

US Tanks are in the 60s, with a few in the 50s (one M23/T23 is 59 exp), while the SU-85 of DOOM
has 71 exp.

I didn't set out to do this; I just let the game assign ratings in a spectrum for that time period; so this is something that I'll have to make note of for future alt-hist scenarios; especially since the US Army would not just give the first combat-ready T23/M23s to random units for combat test; they'd form something similar to the ZEBRA MISSION (Our Timeline's M-26 Pershing Unit) to make sure that the rare new vehicles would be given to semi-competent crews.

From looking at the base ratings used by SPCAMO:

Countries With Manpower Surpluses: Starting experience and morale can be raised by 5 for every year of intense frontline combat. (The USSR is the prime example, rising from 55 base XP in May 1941 to 70 base XP by May 1945).

Countries With Manpower Deficits: While the country can maintain it's starting base rating for several years, eventually the piper must be paid, and quality starts to slide. (Germany is the prime example here, starting out with 70 base XP in the 1930s, and rising to 75 base XP from 1939 to 1942, before starting to decline to 70 in 1943 and 65 in 1945.)

Boosting Your Average Stats: You can increase your base ratings (up to the maximum of 75) well above "normal" experience progression, but that comes at a price. In order to keep your average unit ratings above normal, you have to keep your "tank aces" and "infantry aces" in the front line and not rotate them back to training "back home", where they can pass on their experience to the "new guys". This can work for a year or two, but then a ratings crash occurs as the "aces" get killed through the law of combat statistics, and they haven't passed on their knowledge to the new guys, starting a destructive feedback loop.

Last edited by MarkSheppard; February 6th, 2021 at 03:39 PM..