View Single Post
Old March 28th, 2005, 06:05 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Atrocities is on a distinguished road
Default What Kind Of Games Would You Like To See Made?

What kind of games would you like to see made?

For me I would love to see a game that combines the eliminates of a space 4 x game into a earth conquest game. By that I mean you start the game in control of a region and, any place on any planet, and you must expand, exploit, exterminate, and explore the world. You use infantry, artilary, air, sea, and land power to do so. You must discover resources, cultivate resources, and manage them in order to keep your empire going. Now I AM NOT TALKING about games like Empire Earth or Age of Empires as those games are resource gathering games with small maps and for lack of a better term, are not empire building games but rather skirmish games.

The game I want to see is one where your playing area is the entire globe of a world. When you encounter an enemy you go into strategic or tactical combat much like you do in a 4x game.

Basically take the 4x concept and instead of being based in space, base it on a planet. (Random map generators keep the maps changing.)

Games like Civ3 and such are poor examples of what I mean. Civ3 was a well recieved game but it lacked the depth and game play that a good 4 x game like Space Empires 4 had. In the Civ games you plant a town, expand, plant a town, expand, etc etc etc. What fun is that? After a few turns you have control over the map, and are locked into an unbalanced and decidedly poor combat system with the AI. When musket men can defeat a modern day army, its time to quit the game and uninstall it.

The game I would like to see made would make combat real, more involving, and far more balanced. Your cities would grow with increased population, your economy would grow with the addition of more resources and taxes. You build up armies, airforces, and navy's to defend your territory. You see your troops, planes, tanks, and ships fighting, as you control their tactics and strategies.

I have played a lot of games that claim to be what I am looking for, but NONE of them are. Cross Empire Earth with SE IV, Dominions 2, and Civ 2, and you might come close.

Well any ways that is the game I would like to see made.