View Single Post
Old October 8th, 2011, 07:10 PM

Corporal

Jiggymike is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Adept's Balance Mod 1.00 ready

What I don't understand is why people are so up in arms about this mod if they have no intention of using it when I think it became clear pretty early on that most people aren't particularly interested in it. Adept set about to make a mod that fixed problems he saw with Dominions, namely that weapons weren't accurately in line with their historical use. He also didn't think that werewolves should have hand slots because, traditionally (as in popular media and not necessarily in your backyard), you don't see werewolves fighting with shields or weapons. And finally, he had what I would personally consider a slightly strange obsession with nerfing Jomon, which is the game's version of feudal Japan, because he also wanted to make them more historically accurate. Does the lay population overrate the effectiveness and awesomeness of Japanese samurai? Maybe...but they have a cool name, wear awesome-looking armor, and thrust swords into their own stomach when they dishonor themselves, so I'm okay with people thinking they are bad asses. In fact, the addition of fear to those units was, in a way, the ultimate "eff you" towards Jomon/samurai warriors, because they're generating fear even though they've been weakened to the point where it would be ridiculous to fear them. His mod wasn't made with nation-wide balance in mind but was designed so that "historic" conflicts could be recreated in the game.

Some of his ideas are pretty good, in my opinion. Sometimes I think it would be cool for weapons to have slightly more niche uses, as opposed to basically different points on a sliding scale of attributes (damage vs. length vs. attack and defense bonuses/penalties). However, these are more necessary for balancing the game as a whole, which most people prefer. Adept's mod seems effective for what it was supposed to accomplish, but it's simply not for everyone, or possibly even most players of Dominions. I respect him for sharing it and I think people should be a little less critical/harsh; if you don't want to use the mod, then don't.
The Following User Says Thank You to Jiggymike For This Useful Post: