View Single Post
Old August 11th, 2013, 08:25 PM

Captain

Pibwl is on a distinguished road
Default Re: British OOB7 corrections/suggestions (v.6)

354 A-30 Baltimore - A-30 is redundant, as this is British unit.

Armoured cars:

356 Mrmn-Hrngtn II - an official armament, seen on photos, is Boys, Bren CMG (next to Boys) and Vickers AAMG. It could also carry another Bren as AAMG (or relocate its turret Bren), but I think, that one AAMG is enough.
It would be good to fit it with own picture (now it's MH III).

AFV Weapons Profile 30 - Armoured Cars says, that MH Mk II were first used by South African units from 11/40 (date OK), but their original armament was one Vickers CMG only (plus another one in left hull side eventually, but it had little practical usage). It seems, that only vehicles ordered by the British for Middle East, equipped to a standard laid down by the War Office, and received "about March 1941" had a new turret with Boys and Bren CMG.

Probably they were used longer, than 3/42, but I have no info.

Maybe a more natural name would be Marmon-Herr, or M-H AC?

357 Mrmn-Hrngtn III - it also carried an AAMG - usually Vickers AAMG in addition to Bren CMG.

358 Mrmn-Hrngtn IV - the picture is Humber, correct ones should be in SPMBT.

605 M-H II MG (Colonial AC) - as unit 356 above as for a photo and name.
Seems, that early cars had no Bren AAMG, before they were introduced to ME in around 3/41.

606 M-H II ATR (Colonial AC) - as unit 356 above. Boys were used on M-H only from 3/41 (now 11/40).

Why these cars and gun-armed support cars below are "colonial AC" class, not an ordinary AC? Maybe a "colonial AC" should be basic MG-armed variant only, used on secondary theatres? But gun-armed M-Hs were used on a main theatre in North Africa, as support vehicles for ordinary M-Hs.

BTW, we have formation #380 Col Arm'd Cars with two class 230 cars, and formation #385 Col A/C Troop with three ordinary class 11 ACs, so they are inconsistent.

Maybe the first of colonial M-Hs should be Mk I variant, used by the South African from 5/40 in East African campaign, armed with one Vickers CMG (plus a side MG eventually), with 4x2 drive (precisely Mk I was no Marmon-Herrington, which was a provider of 4x4 chassis, but Ford or South African Reconnaissance Car Mk.I).

According to AFV Weapons Profile 30 - Armoured Cars, a few cars in East Africa had Boys, but it isn't known since when.

607 M-H II 2pdr (Colonial AC) - the first modification of fitting M-H with a 2pdr gun from a knocked-out tank is described in 9/41 (now 12/40), by 4th South Afr. AC Rgt. ("claimed to be the first to fit into an armoured car a gun really effective against tanks" - AFV Weapons Profile 30 - Armoured Cars)

608 M-H II 20mm - date 3/41 seems correct ("early in 1941"), but gun-conversions were open-topped (I assume, that it concerns all gun-armed Mk IIs).

609 M-H II 37mm - German 37 mm Pak was sure mounted much earlier, than in 11/42, near the end of combat in Africa, if the first Italian guns were mounted this way in early 1941.

610 M-H II 47mm - first were mounted 20 mm Bredas, so maybe it should be available a bit later (now 3/41)

It would be complicated, but maybe there could be created troops with one gun-armed M-H and the rest ordinary ones? There were no troops equipped with gun-armed cars in total rather.

360, 361 Ironside Mk.I, II - these are Humber LRC, with a combat compartment at the rear, but photos and icons are Humber Scout Car (better photo is 12834 for unit 362, but 360 was turretless).

360 Ironside Mk I - production started in 7/40 [Osprey New Vanguard 177] (now 6/39). Crew was 3 (2), including wireless operator (it should have better radio chance).

Mk.I carried no Boys (introduced in Mk.II, according to Osprey). It could carry two Brens, but one should be enough (there are no mounts visible, and there are no photos with armament seen at all).
Rear was armoured, only roof was not. Mk I and 2 were 4x2, only Mk III was 4x4
Speed was 72 kmh

361 Ironside Mk II - Humber LRC II name was used rather, than Ironside (according to Osprey, Humber MkII was "described in one document as Ironside Mk II").
According to Osprey and AFV Weapons Profile 30, it appeared in 1941 (now 6/40).
It also should be fitted with a smoke discharger.
Maybe roof should be armoured - it had only a tiny open turret, while it received a roof over a combat compartment, comparing with Mk I.
Speed is quoted as 120 km/h (75 mph)

362 Ironside Mk.III - name Ironside isn't used for this variant of Humber LRC at all. According to AFV Weapons Profile 30, it appeared at the end of 1941 (now 9/43). Crew was 3 (2) and it had a smoke mortar.
Bren had a high elevation and could be used as AAMG, while Boys was fixed forward, like in unit 361 above.
Speed is quoted as 96 kmh (60 mph)
Photo 12834 might be Mk.II or III, while photo 6469 from SPMBT is specifically Mk.III (it has a bulge on a right side)

370 Beaverette I - it was conceived only after Dunkirk (now 1/40). Its Bren doesn't seem to be AAMG (normally it was stuck in a forward slot)

373 Beaverette III - appeared "in 1941" (AFV Weapons Profile 30) (now 1/43).
Standard armament was Bren in a turret, not Vickers K(2). It could have an own photo (now there is Beaverette MkI or II) and new icon, for it was shorter and had a turret.

375, 376 Guy Mk.I, Mk.IA - crew was 3 (4) - AFV Weapons Profile

380 Scout Mk.I - precisely, it was Humber Scout I or Humber SC I (there was also Daimler Scout Car). Produced from early 1943 only (now 8/39) [by a Polish book by J. Magnuski and a Czech photo book on Humber Scout car]

381 Scout Mk.II - as above, produced from 1944 only (now 8/40). There's no information, that they differed in armour - only mechanical changes are mentioned. But I've found no precise info on their armour anyway (they say "max 14 mm).

385 Humber Mk.I - size should be 3(2), like Guy.
Date 9/41 is OK for African deployment.

42 Humber Mk.II - size as above

386 Humber Mk.III - size as above.
It's a detail, but they first appeared on African theatre in 10/42 (now 8/42) [AFV Weapons Profile 21 - Armoured Cars Guy, Humber, Daimler, AEC]