View Single Post
Old August 15th, 2013, 03:29 AM

National Security Advisor

Thanked 1,853 Times in 1,217 Posts
Mobhack is on a distinguished road
Default Re: British OOB7 corrections/suggestions (v.6)

Remember that a lot of standard weapons are best left with standard names - so we can find the little darlings with a SQL query when checking statistics.

So "molotov cocktail" is as likely to stay the same as will the default sniper rifle.

Going back to the original "Pistol" might be best to stop trainspotter-like whinging about model names. The pistol names were only put in for some flavour back in the DOS days. I'd be perfectly happy to revert to the old name for all of them, same with hand grenades etc.

303 rifle - covers all the models. And in any case when I was in back in the 70s, we never ever used those No.4 designations or L1A1 and so on bundles of letters. Only stores clerks would refer to the weapon or whatever as such, or civvies - especially it seems American ones! So - the "three oh three" was the generic term for any of those weapons, or just "rifle" with "The Smelly" being reserved for the one 1916 or so model SMLE we still had kicking about in the CCF armoury on the occasional time it came out of store to differentiate it. Similarly when I graduated up to the TA as a university student (TA paid more than the UOTC!) - SLR and "Sterling" or "SMG" and never ever L1A1 and whatever the Small Metal Gun was officially designated by the bean-counters.

Cheers
Andy