Thread: Range doubling
View Single Post
Old October 31st, 2020, 07:04 AM

Corporal

Felix Nephthys is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Range doubling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiwikkiwik View Post
Ts4EVER thank you for your scenarios and work. I see your problem, Perhaps if you played the modded scenarios I supplied, you will see how the game plays much better, maybe you might agree this is a worthwhile though personally painfull change. If people are happy to play with units having half the shots they should per turn, maybe they won't mind or notice some half size maps either, but I am genuinely sorry to be suggesting a change that spoils your artwork. On the bonus side a 25m hex means you will be able to create a much more detailed and so much more accurate map.

Felix the tools are not there for me to Mod the game the excell import function has been removed from mobhack. Only an insane person would go into every OOB and change every range, item by Item. It's at least 25000 clicks and error prone.

Felix in the game -any- target that travels any distance attracts only half the fire it should from any given shooter. Hexes or meters. Put another way -all- units only get half the shots they should per turn.
Those are facts, no one has disputed them.
So you really don't think it's worthwhile trying one of the scenarios I supplied?
Recently DRG posted an essay on infantry unit frontages. From memory he said they normally have a frontage of about 25m. So to get this frontage you have to put two squads in one hex which gives anyone shooting at one of them a suppression bonus on the other.
If you double the ranges the hexes are now 25m so you can put the two infantry squads next to each other and they get the same coverage as before. But don't suffer the -unwanted- extra suppression issue. Same for small artillery suppression effects.

There are any number of other examples of how game "problems" are fixed if you increase the resolution this way. The 50m hex resolution is too coarse. The extra resolution 25m hexes gives greatly improves game play, because that is the size/scale that properly matches the units in the game. It is after all a tactical game.
Please try the sample modded scenarios I supplied, please have an open mind on this.
Ok, I don't know what this import function is so you'll have to enlighten me. However, let me just see if I can drive down to the bedrock of what you are wanting to accomplish (let me know if I'm in error).

1. You want all weapon ranges in the game doubled and yet you don't want the maps sizes doubled as well to match the increased ranges. Why?

2. You want to dramatically increase the rate of fire for all weapons.

3. You also want to slow movement even further for units.

Taken together I would say that those changes would give a significant advantage to any defending units and I wonder if that may be part of your reasoning for wanting these changes. Is it perhaps making up for some kind of tactical deficiency? It is already easy to increase the lethality of your own weapons while making it easier to cause destruction to an enemy force by using the options in the preferences.

The last point I'd like to make, and probably the most important, is that you want these changes to be universal for ALL players, not just a mod, but you want to FORCE that on other players who DO NOT want the changes you want to make. I've said it before, if other players are out there that want this as well they should speak up and be heard. Why is it just your voice crying out in this digital wilderness?

As for squad frontages, 25 meters seems to be rather close together for me. Do you have a link back to the post you mentioned?