View Single Post
Old June 23rd, 2009, 11:42 AM

Colonel

Burnsaber is on a distinguished road
Default Re: OT: Favourite Boardgames

Yeah, points for auction games. Modern Art was a lot of fun, but now I need to upgrade. I'll look up this "Ra" everyone is yaffing about.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoplosternum View Post
For the heavier 'Euro' style strategy games I like Power Grid and Puerto Rico, but Agricola is just OK. Too much luck/variability in the usefulness of the cards for my liking while the none card part is almost pure skill/analysis paralysis. It just doesn't sit well together.
Yeah, Power Grid is pretty fine, but I have to disagree on your views on Agricola. I also used to squaff some cards straight down, but then I happened to play some solitaire (which basically all about min/maxing). I was really suprised by the hidden power of some cards. Sure, some require elaborate planning or right conditions to work, but when they do..

Besides, if you get struck by sucky cards (I once ended up with 3 different plows and 2 proffession that allowed to plow more stuff), you can just play the base game, while the other suckers are busy getting their fancy things together, you just grab the resources under their eyes and breed like a bloody rabbit.