Thread: Wishlist High level design thoughts
View Single Post
Old August 10th, 2010, 10:17 PM

General

Imp is on a distinguished road
Default Re: High level design thoughts

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanbeke View Post
As to EdKolis' tech tree uncertanty - The only way that I could see this as being important is if it changes with each game. Otherwise, after the first play, we will know what is required to get the next discovery (whether they are called levels or not, it appears to come to the same result).

I think it would be cool to have a tech tree that is different each time we play - some races find certain discoveries easier than others in the play of a game. Might make for interesting tech trading or espionage opportunites.

There was a paper and pencil game back in the 70s or 80s that had a randomization factor in the results. Sometimes you would get a specific tech for your efforts, and sometimes you get the shaft.
While I agree it still leaves a tech tree you know at least early game it makes the choices more dependant on the current situation. Go for the quick fix upgrade route or take the more cost effective probably next tech leap.

I agree everybody should be able to research a techs basics but the further along you go the more chance it should have to diversify or just plain fail like real life. Gave some ways to diversify the tech tree before stoping the boredom of same old tactics.
Tech trading & certainly pilfering could have 2 levels, learn the tech or get a boost in time & success for reverse engineering when you get your mitts on one. Getting your hands on a tech way in advance of where you are there should be a good chance you cant figure it out till further along even if you got the plans. Building a car would be a chalenge if you just invented the wheel after all we havent figured out the anti gravity drive from the Roswell crash yet