View Single Post
Old July 17th, 2014, 12:38 AM

Private

76mm is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Questions re Map editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRG View Post
2/ Where in the manual are you reading this ?
Once you place terrain it doesn't automagically switch to another "season" but...the game will treat it like a winter map ( if you don't do the final save as winter it will not know that clear terrain is supposed to be snow.....because you told it to be summer )
I must be reading something wrong, because even in your response I read "the game will treat it as a winter map" to mean that clear terrain should be snow? But in the HTML manual I read a few things that made me think this, including:
A BIG note to map designers is that the map will be one of these types only, Summer, Jungle, Winter or Desert, depending on what mode it was last edited in.

Why say this?, well some map designers go in and use say a green summer map, then come out to the main screen, flip to winter, and then go in and place a few white tiles for what they think will be a few patches of 'snow' on a green map for extra 'colour'. Nope, if they last edited the map in 'winter' mode, as far as the game is concerned the map is now entirely a winter map! The colour of the basic clear terrain tiles has no in-game effect, the season of the map is a global variable which affects the entire map. Only the special 'feature' tiles (such as snow drifts or soft sand) have inbuilt special effects. 'Clear' terrain tiles do not. Any tile that gives out 'clear' when you hover the mouse over it is a 'basic' terrain tile, of the type of terrain you last edited the map in, so if you say started with a summer map, exit and changed to desert and laid some 'yellow' clear tiles, then exited again, changed to winter and laid some 'white' clear tiles, this is now a winter map, and all the yellow, green and white 'clear' tiles will be basic snow (winter) terrain, because the last map edit mode was winter.
In the part re the map generator it says that the Season switch "allows you to change any map to Desert(0) or Summer(1) or Winter(2) terrain."

It sounds like I'm misinterpreting these sections?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRG View Post
3/ you have to manually rename the save game to a scenario then you can edit with the editor ( so SpSv000.dat needs to be changed to spscn000.dat.....along with the CMT file and then copy that to the scenario file........making sure you don't overwrite an existing scenario... then you can use the editor to save the map........HOWEVER... the conversion doesn't always go as planned
Got, it thanks, will play around with it.