View Single Post
Old July 3rd, 2021, 02:11 AM

BANNED USER

Kiwikkiwik is on a distinguished road
Default Re: 15mm BESA and other autocannons

Personally I thought a comparison of the 15mm BESA to another similar calibre vehicle mounted autocannon would be more relevant that to infantry rifles. For example
The Finnish Landsverk 182 20mm actually has a HE shell but gets no HE loadout.

But and as far as rifle calibre bullets go you have the German PzKw I C firing rifle size bullets but no HE allocation. And most AT rifles fire rifle sized bullets but no HE. The 20mm AT rifles mostly have a HE shell but no HE.
On balance it could be said that the previous designers had decided that a weapon with a decent AP performance will use its bullets against armoured targets rather than "wasting" them against soft targets. You could make the same argument for the 15mm BESA, especially considering that the vehicles with it had a perfectly serviceable, much more effective, coaxial MG, the precise job of which was to engage enemy infantry. It could be considered unlikely they would "waste" the 15mm on soft targets, maybe they considered it tactically smart to conserve the 15mm for armoured targets which obviously presented a much greater threat to the vehicle than infantry. Considering this it seems to me that the games 15mm BESAs HE allocation is the exception rather than the rule.