View Single Post
Old October 15th, 2006, 09:16 AM

Sergeant

Barnacle Bill is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Modding SEV Thread Questions

I'm looking at the AI setup scripts and wondering how the Racial Traits section is used...

Do the "random empires" that get added if you select "Generate random computer controlled players" use this to determine their racial traits?

If so, I would assume that they do so in order as listed in the script, until the point limit of the game is reached. However, you can select 2000, 3000 or 5000 point limits and I've checked 4 races so far and they don't add up. For the Abbidon, Amonkrie & Cue Cappa it comes evenly to 2000 and 3000 if you add them in order, but the total list in the script is less than 5000. For the Drushocka, adding them in order jumps you from 1500 to 2500, and the point total of all the traits listed in the script is 6000. So how does this work -

In a 5000 point game, would the Abbidon, Amonkrie & Cue Cappa take additional traits based on something else (what?)to get to 5000? Or would they just soldier on with <5000 in a 5000 point game? Do they get something else for their unused racial points? In a 2000 point game, would the Drushocka skip over that 1000 pt trait at 1500 to get to the next 500 pt trait on the list, or act as if the list didn't contain enough traits to reach the game point total.

Similarly, do I assume correctly the neutral players use the "default" script? In that, the raciat trait section actually contains formulas - a list of if statements in the form...

if (Sys_Get_Random_Long(1, 4) = 1) then
call Add_Racial_Trait("Advanced Storage Techniques")
endif

How does this work -

Does it go down the list until it fills the point total for the game? Again what if it is 500 points under the limit and the next one it gets is a 1000 pt trait? What if it gets through the whole list without hitting the limit? Do the regular races default to this when their list contains fewer pts worth of traits than the game limit?

Also, I haven't seen any negative point trait being called out in the scripts...