View Single Post
Old September 17th, 2009, 02:56 PM

BANNED USER

Calahan is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Who here is a Vet?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeldor View Post
I don't think you need to make it so complicated. When it comes to most vets it's quite easy. For example no one would deny that QM, Baalz, Micah, Ironhawk, archae, atul, Jurri etc are vets.
Maybe it's just me, but I would rather go through a process to obtain something, rather than just say...

"That's the list of vets. Why? because it just is".

To a new player / forum member, what we have above is just a bunch of random names being mentioned by a random name. Some of those names tie in with the HoF, some of them don't. So new players might wonder how or why certain players have been labelled as a 'vet', and who it was that labelled them. Many probably view the vets as some sort of secret mason-like society, especially with the growing trend of vets only playing in games with other vets.

The HoF maybe isn't all it could be either, with some wins being of different relative value to others. So that's possibly not the most reliable source of vet info, or the best tool for vet identifying as result.

Baalz is probably the most well known vet due to the fantastic guides that he writes. So maybe some then make the distinction that anyone who writes a guide must be a vet. But as many know, that is not necessarily a correct link to make either.

Some of those mentioned above also don't post too often. Jurri for example, while being a mighty fine player, is someone most on these forums have possibly never come across, or even heard of. As they would only really have done so with a visit to the IRC. So to just label an unknown player (to most) a vet might seem like a strange idea to some people.

But if there was a thread dedicated to a list of vets, and a transparent process behind how it was obtained, then players could see clearly why or how players became a 'vet'. (Especially if a few words had to be mentioned on any player being voted for by those voting for them)

So as I said, I am happy to post and maintain a list of vets if it is considered a useful thing to the community. But I would much rather obtain a list via a transparent process that would have a visible post/thread history, rather then just slap-up a list and say....

"Here is the vet list".

Edit:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Micah View Post
...he'd be a top-notch player, too, if he'd just stop turtling now and again. =)
There's no way Micah can be a vet due to his natural hatred of turtles

Last edited by Calahan; September 17th, 2009 at 03:05 PM..