Thread: Utility Linux Admining
View Single Post
Old May 5th, 2010, 11:34 AM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Gandalf Parker is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Linux Admining

OK yet another lesson learned (that makes me look bad).

It appears that Dom3 can develop a problem. Im still trying to pin it down. Possibly something with the way a player disconnects. Im thinking maybe by hitting the red X in the upper right corner (in windowed mode) killing his program, instead of using the disconnect button on the menu when connected to the server. What I get is a log file full of continual (and very fast unfortunately) messages about trying to resend a packet. In any case, the result is a log file that grows larger and larger and larger until it fills up the machine and starts to crash things.

The fix? I havent quite decided yet. Dont use debug logs? I dont use them all the time but when I do they are extremely useful. Or a watchdog script that "sees" the runaway log-growth and kills that game? Im abit to eager to do watchdogs. Im beginning to think I have too many running now. Or maybe keep the logs on a different drive? I can do that. Have the logs write to the /backup which is a separate hard drive. That way at least when it fills up it wont crash other things. But that will make game cleanup alot more complicated. I have enough of that already.