View Single Post
Old September 13th, 2010, 11:00 AM

Sergeant

sgqwonkian is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Theory of Combat (WIP; not at *all* pretty to read)

Explorer Bob,

Thanks for sharing your thoughts and numbers.

I did a similar analysis on WW:RTIS a while back, and it was a major factor in swapping up the starting weapons and the weapon values so much in Drives'R'Us. I came to the conclusion that the cheapest weapons in the game (the chain gun and the starting rail gun) were very close to being the best. Once I'd looked at the numbers, it was inescapable to me that the majority of the stuff you'd find in the in-game universe was useless junk. That was a big let down, so I scaled up the value on those items and altered the starting package.

When choosing between the weapon you started with that's worth one coin, and a new weapon you just found/won that's worth three coins, the obvious common sense choice should be correct. If it's not, then something's wrong with game balance. Don't get me wrong, I love WW (and I loved SAIS before it), but there's something fishy in the weapon values.

As you said, there may be some design space for the "rare" or "experimental" weapon who's value is inflated because it's more of a treasure than a functional weapon, but sadly the game makes that the dominant paradigm instead of a unique little niche. And the culprit in that is just the one-coin sticker price on the rail gun and the chain gun.

Anyhow, I took the tack of making weaker starting weapons and fixing the prices. I've tried constructing formulas for weapon values, but it's not easy since there's many subjective factors (like putting a price-tage on the value of being point-defense capable).

Your post very solidly makes the case that the route I chose is not the only option available to a modder.

Increasing the potency of the longer-ranged weapons would make for a bloodier, faster battles, and would boost the excitement of the middle third of the battle in the process. It would also downplay ramming, which I've read spoils the fun (and/or ruins suspension of disbelief) for some folks. So upping the damage of those mid- and long-range weapons would be a welcome mod.

Another option would be to boost the mid-range weapons out to long-, increasing range instead of firepower. (Or mostly increasing range, plus a small boost to damage or rate of fire). It would make it harder to retreat, but the extra caution that would require when picking your fights could enhance the game as well. Frankly, since you can start each battle in the formation of your choice, I've never really seen the need for a long slow approach, anyway. The tension the approach provides is welcome when the game is new and you don't know the stats well, but gets a wee bit tedious after repeated plays. Making the fight start sooner would shake things up nicely, I think.

At that, I shall reign in my rambling (for now). I hope it's at least been useful in the "food for thought" sense. Thanks again for sharing your thoughts on the subject.