Warning: Illegal string offset 'type' in [path]/includes/class_postbit.php(294) : eval()'d code on line 65
.com.unity Forums - View Single Post - Tophats: Squirreloid wins!
View Single Post
Old June 6th, 2010, 10:11 PM
Major General

Squirrelloid is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Tophats - The Gentleman's Game

Quick AAR:
Started next to ghoul31's Agartha, which means I could expect to face lots of H3 banishing action, oh boy. Of course, I could make an army almost capable of wiping his forces out in 2 turns, and he had to stop researching entirely to beat me off - so i traded lots of material for research tempo and eventually overwhelmed him.

Having finally consolidated my position in the north, I noticed Vanheim whacking Arco and Atlantis beating up on Shinuyama. Given Atlantis's commanding position, I decided killing Atlantis was probably my best bet, especially since my troops were mostly poor amphibians and thus i only needed breathing gear for my commanders. (And I agree with burnsaber, it feels silly providing breathing gear for commanders who aren't breathing).

So I organized an impromptu alliance with other concerned powers to thwart Atlantis, by getting them to pool enough w for me to cast Thetis's Blessing. For safety, i also made some breathing items for critical commanders - a precaution that proved invaluable when after I beat Atlantis around abit he cast Sea of Ice - inconveniently overwriting Thetis.

My initial foray UW was successful because of massive skelly spam, which allowed me to overcome poor amphibian penalties by dint of numbers, and they allowed me to use Rigor Mortis since they were immune while Atlantis's forces were not. Rigor Mortis was definitely key in some major victories.

Because I was making abundant use of Army of Gold anyway, after Sea of Ice and the loss of my skellyspammers, I started massing indies because they didn't suffer penalties and AoG made up for their biggest shortcoming - poor protection. (To that end I also focused on the lightly armored indies). This let me quickly build up quite a large army relatively quickly. I had to stop using Rigor Mortis because I was using living troops.

Two other things contributed to my ability to totally dominate Atlantis. I had an A2 Tomb King with 2 boosters for A4 that could cast Fog Warriors, and my pretender (S6 Son of the Sun) w/ 2 boosters who could cast Master Enslave (who had a void eye + eventually a rune smasher). These pinch hit against Atlantis's army in major engagements, including the battle at Atlantis's capital at the end.

Other helpful things:
-the charm hat was worth its weight in gems for stealing away critical units and creating distractions. (Ultimately, it even stole a QoW).
-the northern fort had the underwater academy site, which gave me some W3 mages for Shark Attack
-Wavebreakers for auto-cast friendly currents (Atlantis, why weren't you using them?)
-Atlantis not mage dueling my S1 Tomb Kings. Seriously, that could have sucked.

Thanks for the graphic Burn, that's awesome!

Ulm: Order of the Black Rose - Reimagining MA Ulm

A more Sombre forum: http://z7.invisionfree.com/Dom3mods/index.php?.act=idx. Now with more Maerlande.

Last edited by Squirrelloid; June 6th, 2010 at 10:21 PM..