View Single Post
Old June 6th, 2010, 11:38 PM

Grijalva

Default Re: Tophats - The Gentleman's Game

yeah, this was my first game playing an underwater nation, so I learned a lot.

Basically I was at war the entire game (also a first for me); being in the middle I had to quickly knock out one of the two ocean powers, Ryleh, before they both ganged up on me. This was nicely accomplished by my pretender with Ryleh's ghost king conveniently getting killed by indies just as I started my attack.

You all know roughly what happened with Cleveland's oceania, after I ambushed and destroyed his initial army it took a long time too finish him off, largely because of 1mapmove underwater and this map being "polar." He made me pay for that victory too.

Shimunyama was the only power who directly tried to help Oceania, and yes, I was very pleased with how that war was going. Had I planned differently I may have been able to make an attempt at his cap, but it was difficult with Cleveland still giving me trouble.

When Thetis's blessing came up I really lost the initiative, first staling, and then not prioritizing, my defense against Nekhara, who was clearly the biggest threat to me being amphibious and a game leader in some respects.

There were definitely some things that I should have done against the undead hordes, but I really despaired after my first encounter with his master-enslaving pretender. I lost something like 15 battlemages and a big army on that one, plus -may be another battle - he charmed Anzu, the HoF escaped slave prince who had won the Champion's trident and in early in the same battle disintegrated Glug!

Things went downhill quickly from there, and it was at that time that I started clamoring for other nations to attack Nekhara, to no avail though.

That was a great game guys, I really enjoyed it through and through!

Squirrelloid, great job, you taught me some hard lessons!