View Single Post
Old September 3rd, 2009, 03:31 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Atrocities is on a distinguished road
Default Re: OT - Need Some PC Advice

Thank you both. Xaiti I wanted to thank you about reminded me of ESD. The manual states that I have to use ESD techniques or I risk voiding the board warranty. I have an old ESD strap from when I worked with semi-conductors so I will be using that for good measure.

I think I will go ahead and install the CPU and fan while the Mobo is out of the PC. I have the foam packaging that the mobo came in and a static bag that the mobo can rest upon. This will be both firm and static free.

When I boot up using the old HD I will have to boot into the bios and make sure that the CD Rom is the primary boot and that the date and time are correct. Then I boot to the XP disk that came with my PC and follow the direction to do a repair. Its going to be a rough ride and I hope that I can get the PC to boot up and run long enough for me to do a data dump to a new 1 terrabyte HD. Then I will do a reformat and fresh install of XP.

When installing a second SATA II drive do I just plug it in to the momo in one of the six available slots?