View Single Post
Old January 26th, 2006, 11:20 PM

General

Graeme Dice is on a distinguished road
Default Re: smart targeting computers, my tuchus.

Quote:
No, it will not. "This" will get you nothing but a massive pile of wreckage, because spinning a Dyson Sphere would create destructive stresses that would tear it apart.
If you can build the sphere in the first place, then you already have materials that are likely to survive the stresses. Even if you don't, there's absolutely no reason that it has to be a rigid structure.

Quote:
And you have not answered the "need question," because there is NO such "need." No race could achieve the level of technology necessary to build even a Ringworld without having already overcome all of the "needs" that might have made one desirable in the first place.
If you want your civilization to still be around a trillion years from now, then you will need to do something about entropy.

Quote:
Please stop pretending that you know what you're talking about, and go read the Dyson Sphere FAQ, to which I've already given you a link.
The FAQ you linked to isn't anywhere near as hostile as you are to the idea, which is a good thing, or else it wouldn't be very useful.

Quote:
Star-enclosing Dyson Spheres are not scientifically plausible; and while a Ringworld might be plausible, it's still irrational because it's totally unnecessary to anyone who could build it.
Except, of course, to people who are taking a very long term view of the universe and would rather not run out of energy until it cannot be avoided in any other way. Stars waste huge amounts of energy, and even if you can convert matter directly into energy, you will still eventually run out of temperature differences.

Quote:
Both of them are Science FICTION.
I'm wondering why this would be a problem.