View Single Post
Old May 3rd, 2010, 12:39 PM

Lieutenant Colonel

Agrajag is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Night of the Long Knives?

Hi. I've been away from this forum for a very long time (because of lack of time for things like the mega timewaster that is Dominions.), and I've recently resumed lurking and now I feel like I need to post.
As an ex-moderator (ex due to the same lack of time that caused me to leave this forum), I think that the case of someone explicitly stating the he refuses to follow the forum rules (which I understand is the case) is a very complicated one from a moderator's perspective because intentionally breaking the rules is much worse than breaking them by accident (including in a fit of anger).
That said, I found that the best solution in case of repeat offenders that are important contributors to the community is to repeatedly punish them (in escalating gravity) until they realise that the severe punishment is not worth the short term "fun" in breaking the rules. Even if they disregard the rules, they eventually stop breaking them out of fear of punishment, while still contributing to the community. IMO a permaban is a tool reserved for obvious spammers or trolls (mostly people that are unproductive and don't contribute, and that have been spamming\trolling since their first day on the forum.)
So to sum up my opinion from what I've been able to gather on this event by reading the forum, it seems like the punishment is too great and not in the best interest of the community, but it is not unjustified because openly disregarding the rules and explicitly stating your disregard for them is a very difficult thing to put a moderator through and doing so does not only show disrespect for the moderator (for putting him through it) but for the community as well.
Personally, from what I remember of Sombre back when I visited the forum consistently I find it hard to believe that he would act in such a way.

That is all I have to say and I shall now resume lurking (since I have little time for more than lurking.)