View Single Post
Old July 16th, 2010, 12:10 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Gandalf Parker is on a distinguished road
Default Re: problem with Dom3Minions server

Well still less problem posts than any other Dom3 server but Im catching up.
Unfortunately this one was the previously discussed runaway logging. And just when I finally get the reboot recovery times into commercially acceptable limits.

Should I give up logging the games? I dearly love the logs altho I dont really use them AS logs anymore. more for things like displaying the game counter and turns uploaded in a webpage so that people dont have to log into the game to see those. Plus the log is only an indicator of the problem. If I killed the log Id have to come up with another way to see that a game has gone into a runaway loop and restart it.

Should I rewrite all the scripts so that all logging occurs on the non-boot drive where filling it wouldnt have "just some games" impact the servers true functions? (not my quotes, its from the complaint of users on the system). I cant really have games causing so much hassle. But if I move the logs out of the savedgames/thisgame directory then cleanup becomes even more of a headache than it is now.

I keep bit-and-piecing fixes. Im really surprised to still be doing this so many years into the game. Its just about the only project I havent been able to get someone else to take. Come on people! Some old retired computer loaded with free linux sharing a home dsl can be 10 times the dedicated server that Dom3Minions is.
http://www.dom3minions.com/ServerInfo.htm
You know you can do better than me so do it! we have only had 5 or 6 try it. Take a stab at it.