View Single Post
Old August 4th, 2013, 08:36 PM

Captain

Pibwl is on a distinguished road
Default Re: British OOB7 corrections/suggestions (v.6)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pibwl View Post
054 Austin 30cwt (Med Truck) - a photo is 6x6 Dodge. Austin rather wasn't met in 30cwt class - most typical in the 1930s was Morris (according to D. Fletcher's "British Military Transport 1829-1956", 'Austin Motor Company had virtually abandoned commercial vehicles between the wars').
In fact, 30cwt was a popular class between the wars, but became a neglected category after Dunkirk. A backbone of the British transport became 3-ton lorries, but we have 3-tonner as a Heavy Truck. If you want a photo of Morris 30cwt, there could be eg. a tractor Morris CDSW found.
Self-correction: I've acquired other book by D.Jane, in which it states, that there was 30cwt Austin K30 produced through the war. I suggest to rename it just "30cwt truck" (or "Morris 30cwt", since its only use in the game is towing light AT-guns, so it might be Morris CDSW 6x4 tractor).

93 Beaufighter IV - should be VI (IV wasn't build, according to Beaufighter In Action).

109 Gladiator - picture 30102 shows the plane in Belgian markings.

115 Daimler Dingo - there was a folding armoured roof (until Mk III variant from 1944) - so maybe it should not be open-topped. On the other hand, it seems that it had no special AA mounting for a Bren, which was placed in a slot in a front plate.

123 8in Battery - picture is 7.2in gun, same as unit 122 (it has longer barrel)

125 Vickers Medium - IMO better picture is 27608. Size should be IMO 5 (3) - it was large as Sherman. Possibly armour is overestimated - according to AFV Profiles 12: Medium Marks I-III, it was 8 mm max, even though it was sloped in upper front part (but vertical in lower). Crew was 5(4) [AFV Profiles].

129 Morris 15cwt - maybe it's better to rename it to generic "15cwt truck", since most popular were Bedfords MW (pictured), and popular were also Morris CS8, Fordson WOT2 and Guy Ant.