View Single Post
Old January 13th, 2009, 09:55 PM

Captain

AgentZero is on a distinguished road
Default Re: What other games do you people play?

I find myself playing very few games these days, due to the whole full-time student thing. The recent expansion suckered me back into WoW, since I found I could pop in for half an hour, run a few daily quests, and feel like I actually accomplished something. I was playing Tabula Rasa before that for much the same reason, but since it's cancellation was announced, I've just found it to be too depressing to carry on. Still, if anyone was ever interested, it's now completely free to play until Feb 28th when they're shutting it all down.

Aside from that, I played Fallout 3 for a little, before deciding I wanted to spend more time than I had to play it, so it got shelved with The Witcher, Mass Effect, Bioshock, Titan Quest, Overlord, and Beyond Good & Evil to await a time when evenings & weekends are mine again. I've been playing a bit of Dawn of War/Starcraft/Left for Dead multiplayer with some classmates while we wait for something to install/uninstall/work/fail.

Over the Christmas break, I played a boatload of World of Goo, which is probably the most entertaining puzzle game I've played in a good long while. I also recently came across a little gem called King's Bounty, which is all kinds of fun. It's best described a Heroes of Might & Magic clone, but it's got all kinds of quirky little extras that set it apart, like your wife whose inventory slowly fills up with children that give you various bonuses, and whom you need to keep happy or she'll leave with the kids & half your gold. It's also less constrained than HoMM, letting you just mill around the map fighting battles and doing quests, rather than forcing you along with a set of objectives. The only knock I have against it is that you'll occasionally run into a battle against an opponent who's far tougher than anything else on the map, with no indication of what you're getting into until it's too late. That being said, there's a great sense of satisfaction when you win such a battle after 90% of your army is wiped out and you're rewarded with a bunch of experience and loot.

And that's about it. Now if you were to ask me what games I'd like to be playing, you'd get a very different, and much longer reply.