View Single Post
Old September 19th, 2011, 01:00 AM

Private

Gurachn is on a distinguished road
Default Re: DienBienPhu- How difficult to convert?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RazGator View Post
I'm looking into doing a DBP scenario or two. Right now, I'm trying to dig up enough tactical info to do something with the March 22 clearing of Route 41 through Ban Kho Lai from Isabelle to the main French position. Meanwhile, here is a good topo map of DBP http://www.rjsmith.com/Dien_Bien_Phu_Cropped.html
Hi RazGator,
Thanks for the link.
I actually already have a copy of the topo map that Ray Smith based that one on. Unfortunately it's a USGS map from 1966, and it seems that the terrain in the area, especially the course of the Nam Youn, has changed a fair bit since '54.
In the years after the battle there was a tremendous amount of construction also, so the road lines also are a bit off from where they ran during the battle.
Ray also seems to be a bit out with his placements of some of the firebases.

I've been piecing together a number of maps/photos/diagrams from March-April '54, and attempting to overlay them with this topo and another I have, and am getting pretty close to having a decently detailed and scaled outline of the ground as it stood during the period.
I've even overlayed it with a 50m. hex grid so it should be fairly useful as a basis for making a game map.

Unfortunately I have no experience with making SP maps or scenarios.
Might you be interested in a bit of collaboration?