View Single Post
Old August 28th, 2005, 01:50 PM

Captain

narwan is on a distinguished road
Default Re: what mix of forces do you use in PBEM?

My preferences are for no snipers at all or if the opponent insist on having some, at most 1 per infantry type company.
Also, I prefer no (gunship) helicopters. I personally feel that both snipers and gunships are somewhat outside the scope of the game and not very well modelled compared to other elements of the game.

Scout, AT, mg and other infantry support teams a max of 1 section per company if none are provided in the company itself.
Except for ATGM's, if you want those, buy a company that has them. These weapons aren't/weren't nearly as common on the battlefield as many a PBEM game would have you believe.

My opponents can get as much arty as they want. For more modern games in particular the increased ranges of artillery and C3I inprovements make it possible for a lot of artillery to be concentrated in a small area fairly quickly. If my opponent wants to 'waste' his points on lots of arty, let him do so.

I do prefer limits on ammo units though. Ammo carriers and Buratino's for example make for a bad (balance wise) combo.

I don't mind some mixing of types of forces. There are many conceivable instances where such a thing could happen on the battlefield.
Nor do I mind cut & pasting companies. It is quite likely that at the moment of combat companies are not fully up to their TO&E (maintenance problems, acidents, previous combar losses, not fully mobilised or simply not fille dto the required strength due to manpower shortages) or have been reorganized (into combined arms formations for example).

Narwan