View Single Post
Old May 13th, 2010, 10:35 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Gandalf Parker is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Star Trek Cultural Archetypes

You forgot a point. Apparently under the federation people dont work for money anymore. They work for satisfaction, there is no poor or homeless, etc etc.

One of my long time sig lines says:
Its easy to understand.
Under the Democrats we will be the Federation.
Under the Republicans we will be the Ferrengi.

As for the BORG thats definitely coming but less abstract than that. More exact to the image. Ive seen more and more "borging" in my life. Not just prosthetic limbs. I know one women who was always busy. So she had to get a cell phone (borg v0.00). Her conversations were short because she was always busy. Then she got one of those bluetooth things in her ear (borg v0.01) and now she has trouble hanging up. She basically THINKS into the phone as she is doing things.

What are the next steps to borgdom? Check out terms like "enhanced reality" (overlaying computer info onto your vision) or skinput (keyboard or touchpad on your arm with no mechanics) or body-as-network (microsoft patent to have things you wear share power and input/output thru your body without wires). Those are here, now.

And there have been experiments lately with integration. Having prosthetic limbs being controlled directly by nerve signals. And having prosthetic eyes and ears feed data directly to nerves.

Whats left? Oh yeah. The Borg Mind. The Collective. The instantaneous sharing of minute facts and thoughts. The group mind.
(Been on twitter yet?)

Gandalf Parker

Last edited by Gandalf Parker; May 13th, 2010 at 10:45 PM..