Thread: AAR Bear vs Dragon
View Single Post
Old September 10th, 2018, 12:05 PM

Second Lieutenant

Aeraaa is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Bear vs Dragon

Turns 41-60

This time I played 20 turns they were packed with action. To the north, the Chinese infantry marches forward under constant artillery, tank and MG fire. Their losses are heavy, but they keep pushing on. Their targets are the positions (1) and (2) along the northern ridge, defended by two mechanized platoons (reinforced) and one tank platoon. One observation helicopter is acting as an artillery spotter. The Chinese manage to reach as close as 400 meters from the Russian positions, before heavy losses and Russian firepower break their morale. Of the two companies that attacked, 3-4 broken squads are all that remained. Most heavy weapons teams are knocked out as well. Chinese mortar, AA and AT positions at (3) and (4) are also heavily shelled and soon the Chinese mortars are silenced.

In general, Russians advance everywhere. On the high ground at (5) they consolidate their gains, beating local counterattacks. The location is secured with MGs and ATGMs. At (6) there is heavy infantry fighting and artillery shelling. After 10 hard fought turns, Russians eliminate the attackers and finally secure this important ridgeline. Russian artillery helped a lot, as can be seen by the strike markers in the area. Further west, Russian vehicles advance at (7), but a BMPT is soon under heavy fire by Chinese TDs and is knocked out by an ATGM. The Chinese vehicles are located at (8). Soon, Russian artillery firing AT munitions destroys 8 enemy vehicles and pacifies any resistance. An 120mm mortar platoon is also found and destroyed. Their right flank is secured by the mechanized platoon to the north. The latter advances as far as (10), eliminating Chinese mortars along the way. One rifle squad is under fire by more Chinese vehicles at (9) and these soon meet their brethren fate thanks to the terrifying Russian artillery.

Having their northern flank secured, the mechanized force move to capture their objectives. The location at (8) is captured by Anti-infantry vehicles while the high ground at (11) by infantry. Chinese 122mm artillery is located and also eliminated there.

Despite the Russian successes, it seems that the Chinese have a little more fight left in them. At turn 52, Chinese heavy artillery finally makes its presence known on the battlefield, by shelling mechanized infantry positions at (12). I lose 3 BMPs, a forward observer and several infantry squads in this barrage, although one Chinese artillery unit receives CB fire. In addition to that, the first Chinese heavy units arrive: A tank company together with some wheeled TDs, SPAA units and some more. I immediately plot DPICM artillery strikes along their path and move several tank and TD platoon towards their path to counter them. The artillery strikes are heavy and can be seen interdicting the attackers along their advance. The light vehicles are easy prey; they get destroyed quickly. Tanks are more resistant to artillery fire, but they too suffer heavy losses to immobilization. The barrage has heavy impact on Chinese morale and many units immediately panic. I seize the moment to launch a tank counterattack by two T-90 platoons, supported by a third on top of the ridge at (13), a Hind flight and some dismounted Konkurs at (5). Very soon, all Chinese tanks are destroyed, for no loss to myself (apart from a few dismounts, maybe 4 soldiers total casualties).

One Chinese tank platoon tries to outflank me at (14). They are spotted by a BMP platoon and they receive autocannon and ATGM fire, as well as 100mm HE fire. This fire is ineffective, and I lose a couple of BMPs with their passengers, forcing me to retreat out of sight. I bring two tank platoons. One takes positions alongside (15) and the other at (16). They soon catch the Chinese tankers in a pincer. The latter, outnumbered and outgunned have their morale failing and become easy pickings for my T-90s. One more tank victory for no tanks lost.

Finally, an 82mm mortar platoon is spotted at (17). I have received 300mm cluster artillery barrages and I unleash one upon this target. Every single living soul in a 200*200 meter area just ceases to exist. Also, the brigade commander appeared on the battlefield at turn 49 and I sent him at (5). However, he received mortar and even tank fire, so I had to withdraw. He relocated on the ridge at (18) as can be seen from the map.

So to recap, while the Chinese did counterattack and cause some casualties to me, they received far more and their heavy units were annihilated. I now control most of the important high ground, which will make any more Chinese counterattacks even riskier. The plan now is to capture the remaining objectives slowly but surely.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Aeraaa For This Useful Post: