Old February 14th, 2003, 09:22 PM

Private

raynfala is on a distinguished road
Default Re: SE5, Tell Aaron what\'s on your Wish List

Quote:
Originally posted by Gryphin:
raynfala,
Hex Grid
Has a lot of issues. Most likely the biggest one is programing. It would be a nice feature but the time and effort required would (In my Opion), not be worth it. I personaly would rather see the time and effort go into other aspects of the game.
I shudder to think what it might require in the re doing of ship sets.
who knows, I could be way off base.
Mmmmm, I can see two areas where hex-mapping would throw a bit of a wrench in the works:

* Path finding -- writing an algorithm that can pick its way along a hex path instead of a grid probably takes significantly more effort, especially if it's going to do it right.
* Coordinate system -- everything tied to those nice, tidy Cartesian coordinates (movement orders, planet/unit positions, etc.) needs to get reworked. In short, Aaron would have to create a new coordinate system: one that is both intuitive and consistent, so that when your orders window says "move to -blah-,-blah-", you know exactly where on the map its refering to.

There are plenty of war games that use hex-maps, although I've never actually played 'em. I wonder how they deal with it...

--Raynfala