.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

The Star and the Crescent- Save $8.00
winSPMBT: Main Battle Tank- Save $6.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 3: The Awakening > Multiplayer and AARs

Old August 23rd, 2007, 11:17 AM

Corporal

Zoshan is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Perpetuality - The 60 Player MegaGame (Signup)

Ok here is my 2 cents.

If the sub is a true sub and will only be playing for a short time then the sub should try to play just like the original player.

If the sub is taking over and the original player is not coming back then the sub becomes the NEW player and can do whatever he/she wants. The King/Queen is dead long live the new King/Queen.

Now the way in which LA Atlantis is quitting the game it makes it look like he is leaving in a Huff. Very child like. I dont know much about this guy but from what I have read here on the boards its not all good. Also the messages he sent me in game makes me think he would act this way. I will however try not to judge someone by what goes on here as this is not real life.
Old August 23rd, 2007, 11:52 AM

Lieutenant General

Xietor is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Perpetuality -LA Atlantis

What Franktrollman should do, if he wants my respect(admittedly most people do not live their lives to achieve this noble goal), is to take a deep breath, and recognize that one of his friends had to leave the game for real life issues.

Also recognize that the legitimate sub, while not his ally, has stated he will play Lanka to the best of his ability, with
a clean slate. LA Atlantis can show his skill in both diplomacy and gameplay, by adapting to the change in circumstances, and continuing to play to win.

What is the net effect of Lanka ending his war with me to LA Atlantis? I am not going away even if the war continues.
Lanka did tie up my main armies, but i am still not going to leave my borders unprotected. So those large armies will remain just where they have been. Only a fool leaves a border unguarded.

Lanka still may be open to diplomacy from LA Atlantis. Who knows? It is your job to demonstrate your diplomatic skill.
Maybe you can convince him/bribe him to continue his war against me. That is up to you, and him.

But why should a reasonable player taking over a new race, unless he is LA atlantis sister or close friend, grind his own nation down to help some other nation prosper? That is the question LA Atlantis needs to address with Lanka.

All quiting the game in a "huff" so to speak does, is put you in a bad light. That is my 2 cents. Coming into the game i had never even heard of you. So I had a neutral opinion.
If you leave now, I will not lie, I would never allow you in any game I ran.

At the very least you should find a sub yourself. At best, you suck up the loss of an ally-just as we all may have to do-and move on. Did you think that because you had a premade alliance entering the game it was going to be given to you on a silver platter?

If so, you were mistaken. There are many excellent players in this game you have never faced before, and they are not going to make it easy for you. If you want to be the head that wears the crown-fine. Earn it!
Old August 23rd, 2007, 12:07 PM

Major

Hadrian_II is on a distinguished road

I also think some people take this alliance thing way too serious. As dom3 is about to get your pretender to ascend into godhood, there is just no place for alliance victories. Sure you can make (temporary) NAPs with other players, and work together with others for your own benefit. But if you are creating an alliance with the target to win the game together, this is in my opinion almost cheating.
Old August 23rd, 2007, 12:22 PM

Sergeant

Saint_Dude is on a distinguished road

Wow, sounds like a lot of huffing going on. But I am at a loss when I try to locate Frank's huffy comments.

Could it just be that real life (computer/connection issues, crazy hours at work, or something more personal) has interfered with Frank's ability to get his turns in? If so, I doubt he would be too inclined to return to such a welcoming environment.

Moreover, real life interference can take many forms. If someone has a particularly stressful job (ambulance driver perhaps), it is possible to get into an emotional funk that makes it very difficult to care much about such trivialities as this (especially if a significant time commitment is involved).

I am not condoning this manner of leaving a game (if that is Frank's intent), but give the guy some slack. I don't see the need to smear his name over several pages, or ban him from future games.

As a player, I was very impressed with LA Atlantis' performance. Frank demonstrated exceptional skill and a high level of diplomacy (which I would find exhausting). At this point of the game, my money was on LA Atlantis for the win. If he was playing a two-bit part in this game (like myself), I doubt that anyone would care about the manner of his departure. The fact that the whole world reverberates with his leaving speaks volumes about his position.
Old August 23rd, 2007, 12:40 PM

Lieutenant General

"But I am at a loss when I try to locate Frank's huffy comments."

That is not surprising as he apparently does not post on the boards, but that does not mean he does not communicate with people.

And I did not say he made "huffy" comments. My precise intent is that if he is leaving the game because he was not allowed to hand pick another player's permanent sub, then that conduct-to me-is leaving in a huff.

Obviously if Lanka had wanted LA Atlantis to hand pick his sub, he would have assigned him that task-just like EH assigned me the task of finding his sub for him. Since Lanka did not assign LA Atlantis that task, imho, he needs to deal with it.
Old August 23rd, 2007, 01:01 PM

First Lieutenant

K is on a distinguished road

Frank just started a job as an Emergency Medical Tech(EMT). In case anyone isn't aware, the hours on that kind of job is like 36 hours on, 24 off, 36 on. Its pretty nuts, so I think this is less of a "he left in a huff" move on his part and more of a "no human being could get quality turns done on that kind of schedule."

On a personal note, good game everyone. My only regret is that I didn't cast Astral Corruption when I had the chance.

And I'd like to do a public shout-out to Xietor. Our war was bloody and brutal with horrific losses on both sides, as well as being surprisingly unprofitable. I definitely had to bring my A-game, and I still was never sure if it was going to be enough. For that I am grateful, as it pushed me to improve and expand my game.

So I tip my demonic monkey horns to you.
Old August 23rd, 2007, 01:08 PM

Major General

DrPraetorious is on a distinguished road

There's a lot of additional IRL stuff going on here that makes this a complicated situation. Meglobob has said he's okay with a different sub - but I'll still take K's input on that question before locating one.

That said, if Xietor were effectively eliminated and playing only to destroy Frank, that would be fine. Since Xietor *isn't* eliminated, is at about mid-quantile, and is still playing only for a vendetta, and doesn't know the extent of the favors that Atlantis did for Lanka earlier in the game (which are wasted if meglobob takes over), I it might be wise to consider carefully before criticizing people for their sportsmanship.
If you read his speech at Rice, all his arguments for going to the moon work equally well as arguments for blowing up the moon, sending cloned dinosaurs into space, or constructing a towering *****-shaped obelisk on Mars. --Randall Munroe
Old August 23rd, 2007, 01:51 PM

Lieutenant General

Thank you K for everything.

It appears Frank is in fact leaving the game for real life issues-so I do owe him an apology for the implication that he was leaving in a "huff." But if he is in fact leaving, there is no reason whatsoever Dr. P should be finding a sub for lanka.

One has already been found, and he apparently realizes what K has confirmed-the war had been bloody and neither side profited. So Dr. P wants to find a sub for Lanka who will not play Lanka to win, but promote Dr. P's agenda?

Am I the only one that has an issue with that?

*As an aside, yes i had a vendetta against Frank, and he knows why. Since he will not respond on the forums, I will not take any shots at him he cannot reply to.

But If a new player is playing LA Atlantis-i will put aside any issues I had with LA Atlantis. In other words-new player-clean slate. Just like with Lanka.
Old August 23rd, 2007, 02:35 PM

Major General

DrPraetorious is on a distinguished road

I am absolutely not interested in recruiting players who would be spoilers - either for me, or against anyone else.

If Frank is indeed leaving - I'm trying to talk him out of it - then, as I said, Meglobob can have the position, makes little difference to me. At that point I'm (with Frank's permission) recruiting a sub for *him*, and I would like to recruit someone who will pay me back the gems LA Atlantis owes me, which I hardly regard as someone who's going to throw the game my way, thank you.

Anyway I'm opposed to the whole "clean slate" thing. You're supposed to be at war with other positions - not with other *players*.
If you read his speech at Rice, all his arguments for going to the moon work equally well as arguments for blowing up the moon, sending cloned dinosaurs into space, or constructing a towering *****-shaped obelisk on Mars. --Randall Munroe
Old August 23rd, 2007, 03:00 PM

Lieutenant General

The point is Dr. P you have no more right to recruit a sub for lanka than me(and i have none). In fact, since I am the one who has been at war with him for gawd knows how long, no one other than K knows Lanka's position better than me.

And you in no way have any right to recruit someone for lanka that has any predisposition to your position. Sorry. I do not care if you loaned him 10,000 gold etc.

I will agree that K has the right to select his own sub. No one disputes that. What I am unclear on is this, did K ask Velusion to find a sub for him(rather than dr p or someone else?). If he asked velusion, then Velusion did the job.

If velusion just saw that lanka staled 1 turn, and on his own went out and got a sub, then i see your point. But if he was asked by the player to get a sub for him-and did so-what right do you have to find a different one? And what issues do you have with the one that signed up to play Lanka?

That is the risk inherent in loaning people gems etc. And i will say no matter how many "favors" Atlantis did for lanka,
they in no way compensated lanka for all the losses he incurred in our war.