.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

winSPWW2- Save $5.00
World Supremacy- Save $10.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 3: The Awakening > Scenarios, Maps and Mods

Old March 6th, 2010, 06:17 PM

Sergeant

LumenPlacidum is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Kingdom of Angmar - Version 0.51 available

Hahaha, goes to show how often I play blood nations. So, Summon Imp isn't a ritual, huh? Yeah, you're right about that not being fair then.
Old March 6th, 2010, 06:56 PM

Second Lieutenant

kianduatha is on a distinguished road

Oooh, very nice. You might want to keep the Witch-King just S3D4 and not have a magicboost, especially since prophetizing him gives you an H5 guy off the bat.

The spellcasters definitely got enough of a jump now--I keep waffling about whether they're worth sacrificing design points on a bless for(definitely at least a tasty rainbow)

You might want to consider giving them a slightly smaller starting army--right now what they get is enough to blind-attack first turn with only one or two losses.
Old March 7th, 2010, 10:22 AM

Corporal

Radio_Star is on a distinguished road

It seems like orcs and goblins should have the same (probably 100) darkvision? Is the difference a balance consideration or a flavor consideration?
Old March 7th, 2010, 01:04 PM

Sergeant

Flavor. Snaga goblins were the type of orcs that lived in Moria. Slightly smaller and better adapted to a life in complete darkness.
Old March 7th, 2010, 02:00 PM

Sergeant

Barrow Wight (Conj 4, requires 2D1S costing 10 death gems for now; the magic paths available to it are 1D1S +100% WDSB, so one in four can recast the summoning spell):

So far, they've been quite capable thugs in my tests. Magic duel will bring them down right quick, though.

And, with that, I'll be updating the download to include the three spells I've added as well as some of the balance changes people have suggested and I've made.

The three spells are:
Command the Pit - 6 blood slaves for 12 snaga goblins.
Raise Barrow Wight - 10 death gems for 1 barrow wight commander.
Enrage Uruloki - 15 fire gems for a remote attack of a huge dragon that flies off after it fights. I haven't posted stats for the dragon because I don't have an original sprite for it for now. I'm using the red dragon pretender sprite.
Old March 7th, 2010, 03:21 PM

Second Lieutenant

BigDaddy is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdonj View Post
Sorry, I'm still pretty sick and kind of gave a price without really thinking it through. However while it is true that snaga are not that amazing, they also aren't completely terrible either. Using the price of imps as per the summon imp spell does not really work. All combat summons are much cheaper than summon spells that permanently give you units. It's just not a fair comparison. If you want to look at the cost of imps, you have to look at horde from hell or infernal forces. Horde from hell summons a devil (at 3 slaves, which is crazy cheap) and a bunch of imps, at 44 slaves for 25 units. That's a bit over 1 slave per imp. Anyway, going with a 2:1 ratio sounds reasonable.
You can consider part of the cost of HFH as a premium, however, because it is a raiding spell. If/when they win, they can be flown out of the province the next turn, or used again... etc. You can cast it on anywhere.
Old March 7th, 2010, 06:24 PM

General

rdonj is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDaddy View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdonj View Post
Sorry, I'm still pretty sick and kind of gave a price without really thinking it through. However while it is true that snaga are not that amazing, they also aren't completely terrible either. Using the price of imps as per the summon imp spell does not really work. All combat summons are much cheaper than summon spells that permanently give you units. It's just not a fair comparison. If you want to look at the cost of imps, you have to look at horde from hell or infernal forces. Horde from hell summons a devil (at 3 slaves, which is crazy cheap) and a bunch of imps, at 44 slaves for 25 units. That's a bit over 1 slave per imp. Anyway, going with a 2:1 ratio sounds reasonable.
You can consider part of the cost of HFH as a premium, however, because it is a raiding spell. If/when they win, they can be flown out of the province the next turn, or used again... etc. You can cast it on anywhere.
That is most certainly true, yes. It is probable that horde from hell has a built in transport fee to go with it, probably between 5 and 10 gems worth, imo. I thought about mentioning this, but since the imps would still be over 1 slave per imp and under 2, I didn't figure it changed the math enough to mention.

The barrow wight cost looks fine for now, they're probably more or less equivalent to shura at present with added vulnerability to magic duel making it kind of painful to equip them.
"Easy-slay(TM) is a whole new way of marketing violence. It cuts down on all the red tape and just butchers people. As a long-time savagery enthusiast myself, I'm very excited about the synergies that the easy-slay(TM) approach brings to the entire enterprise." -Dr DrP
Old March 8th, 2010, 01:52 AM

Second Lieutenant

Default Re: Kingdom of Angmar - Version 0.52 available

Enrage Uruloki seems rather underpowered--half the time it just flies into melee and gets instagibbed, and even when it isn't acting dumb it isn't very effective, even against province defense. Awe +0 (or fire shield) and a melee AOE-3 fire attack seem thematic and rather justified.
Old March 8th, 2010, 04:54 PM

Sergeant

The spell isn't exactly what I wanted it to be. However, I'm surprised that the dragon isn't being effective for you. 18 protection with a lot of hitpoints and fear is decent on the defensive side. The protection goes up when the thing goes berserk. The offensive power of it is pretty scary, and it will TEAR UP thugs with moderately high DEF and thugs of pretty much any protection level.

Initially, I wanted it to fly in and attack, then SIT there if it won, just waiting to defend its territory.

I'd be willing to increase the HP, Att, Def, or even Prot (a little), in order to make the dragon fairly competent. Also, I sort of just quickly gave it weapons. I might give it 2 claw attacks and make its fire breath have Str range instead of Str/2 and increase the AoE.
Old March 8th, 2010, 06:59 PM

Second Lieutenant

I think I was unlucky in my first half-dozen casts of the thing. Further testing has been much better--it can at least take out 10 province defense most of the time. It just seems closer to the power of Call of the Wild than that of Ghost Riders--and given that it's a level 8 spell that requires a F3 cap-only mage and 3 separate boosters to cast...

as far as getting it to sit there afterwards...with the new patch, maybe make it under Angmar's control(still attacking randomly in combat, of course) and give it Shattered Soul 100? I have no idea what would happen, but it sure would be hilarious.