.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

The Star and the Crescent- Save $8.00
winSPMBT: Main Battle Tank- Save $6.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 3: The Awakening

Old May 4th, 2007, 09:34 AM

Corporal

Eldanesh is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Introduce yourself!! :-)

Hey, My name nick's Eldanesh (as in 40K), and I'm from Canada. I LOVED the first Dominions 2, but unfortunately was ripped on ebay with a burnt copy. This Time I've got dominions 3 forgein "neogame" edition, but it's patching so I'm assuming it's legal (or I'll be really angry). By the way, 3.06 is the most recent patch right?
Old May 4th, 2007, 10:06 AM

National Security Advisor

Endoperez is on a distinguished road

Welcome! And be sure to patch up, 3.08 got just released. Check out the sticky threads.
Old May 4th, 2007, 10:37 PM

Second Lieutenant

Starshine_Monarch is on a distinguished road

*bows*
I am Starshine_Monarch, 17 year old High school student (but not for much longer) in Buffalo, New York.

There's not really much interesting to tell about me...I can draw a bit, I can write short fantasy stories, and I love video games and manga.

I've been playing Dominions 2 with my father and younger brother pretty much since it came out and now Dominions 3 as well. I'm not really big on computer games, wargames even less so. I'm totally horrible at Space Empires 4, have never played SE5, and am only fairly decent at Dominions 2 and 3 (though the definition of 'decent' might be subject to debate by some). However, though I might lack some skill as a player, I think Dominions is really a lot of fun.

I'm especially fond of how easy it is to mod the game. I've tried making mods for D2 that include a nation of nature-worshiping werewolves and a human feudal magocracy of general fantasy stock. I've also created what I like to call the "Dominions Sprite Workshop" which should make the creation of generally human-shaped sprites easier for those who aren't so good at it (all it really is is just a .TGA with a humanoid base including sprite bases for a horse and rider). Which reminds me, the next modding project I want to work on is a new MA nation based off of the beginnings and expansion of Islam from 622 AD to around the 700's and sort of the whole general "Arabian Nights" dealie. Unfortunately, I'm gonna need to do a bit more research on the topic as all I've read on it is 20 pages or so in a history textbook 2 years ago. Hm...anyone know where I can find a sprite base for a camel?
Old May 5th, 2007, 03:56 AM

National Security Advisor

Endoperez is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Starshine_Monarch said:
*bows*
I am Starshine_Monarch, 17 year old High school student (but not for much longer) in Buffalo, New York.

There's not really much interesting to tell about me...I can draw a bit, I can write short fantasy stories, and I love video games and manga.

I've been playing Dominions 2 with my father and younger brother pretty much since it came out and now Dominions 3 as well. I'm not really big on computer games, wargames even less so. I'm totally horrible at Space Empires 4, have never played SE5, and am only fairly decent at Dominions 2 and 3 (though the definition of 'decent' might be subject to debate by some). However, though I might lack some skill as a player, I think Dominions is really a lot of fun.

I'm especially fond of how easy it is to mod the game. I've tried making mods for D2 that include a nation of nature-worshiping werewolves and a human feudal magocracy of general fantasy stock. I've also created what I like to call the "Dominions Sprite Workshop" which should make the creation of generally human-shaped sprites easier for those who aren't so good at it (all it really is is just a .TGA with a humanoid base including sprite bases for a horse and rider). Which reminds me, the next modding project I want to work on is a new MA nation based off of the beginnings and expansion of Islam from 622 AD to around the 700's and sort of the whole general "Arabian Nights" dealie. Unfortunately, I'm gonna need to do a bit more research on the topic as all I've read on it is 20 pages or so in a history textbook 2 years ago. Hm...anyone know where I can find a sprite base for a camel?

Welcome!

I suggest you check out the Arabs and Carthiginians thread on the modding forum. The project seems to be planned out well, but is lacking the sprites, at least.

The Dominions Sprite Workshop sounds great. I suggest you take a look at the thread about a recently discovered method of sprite extraction. That should make it easy to create a small library of basic humanoid types, or perhaps one of different weapons and shields. Also, feel free to add this pair of mage-sprites to your program.
Old May 7th, 2007, 01:27 AM

Captain

CUnknown is on a distinguished road

Hi, guys!

I played dominions 2, and now I'm back! I assume by the fact that no one is playing dominions 2 anymore that dominions 3 is a better game?
Old May 7th, 2007, 07:35 PM

Major General

Taqwus is on a distinguished road
Default Mostly, yes.

The differences are fairly substantial -- eras instead of themes, rebalancing of costs (fortress cost and incomes increased, troop and commander costs less changed ergo cheaper), more differences between national access to magic paths (much more restricted randoms, so it's harder to diversify), more spells being nation-specific, and so forth. AI behavior is similar to before, but it will actually build fortresses now and makes heavier use of national troops. Micromanagement's also improved, with automatic adjustment of taxation (overrideable) based on unrest, and the ability to set mages to monthly-cast site-searching spells and let them be...

There's a point of contention with some arguing that the power of high blesses reduces the number of competitive strategies under certain conditions (notably, cramped maps where blitzing with powerful sacred units are difficult to counter if, say, you've instead piled points onto scales). If it's agreed to be a problem, to a certain degree this can be ameliorated via mods (increasing the effects of scales, for instance, to make it harder to pay for those ultra-blesses).
Old May 8th, 2007, 04:12 PM

Second Lieutenant

Starshine_Monarch is on a distinguished road

Quote:
CUnknown said:
Hi, guys!

I played dominions 2, and now I'm back! I assume by the fact that no one is playing dominions 2 anymore that dominions 3 is a better game?
Yes. Yes it is.
Old May 9th, 2007, 12:07 AM

General

PashaDawg is on a distinguished road

Welcome Back, CUnknown!
Old May 11th, 2007, 01:30 AM

Private

Murder is on a distinguished road

just registered, only got into dom in like early march or feb i think... cnt remebmer... lol its like the only game i play now xD
Old May 12th, 2007, 03:46 AM

Sergeant

Xanatos is on a distinguished road

Hello All, I'm new to the forums here, although I do not imagine I have alot of time to post regularly, I do want to play some Multiplayer games, if anyone could shoot me an email at Xanatos(at)triad(dot)rr(dot)com with instructions on how to join a multiplayer game, I would also love to know why the random event message that says something like 'rumors of the mythical crown of shadows have been common since' or whatever that message is....is that an item you can get?..if so..how?

lol

~Xanatos Nemos, Master of Shadows

Email address broken down to prevent harvesting for spamlists, hope you don't mind ~Edi