This Month's Specials

The Star and the Crescent- Save $8.00
winSPMBT: Main Battle Tank- Save $6.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Shrapnel Community > Space Empires: IV & V > SEIV

Old April 6th, 2004, 11:13 PM

Corporal

Electrum is on a distinguished road
Default Re: SE5, Tell Aaron what\'s on your Wish List

I would like to see the ability to link multiple fleets together. You could have fllets w/ different objectives / stratagies, yet they move together.
Old April 7th, 2004, 12:52 AM

Second Lieutenant

Paul1980au is on a distinguished road

Another option to allow allies to control some of your fleets would be a renting or short term loaning option ie for x resources etc you can rent my fleet or ships to guage war (mercenary sceniro)

ALso linking fleets together to have an armada would help greatly - moving simutanously etc

More hotkeys would help to.
Old April 7th, 2004, 04:58 AM

Sergeant

Rasorow is on a distinguished road

A few things would be nice. Having played SE II-IV gold I would like to see

1 Squadrons, or the ability to assign or form a group of ships both during fleet creation and during battle for a specific purpose. For example I almost always create class of AAA ships to help wittle down the swarms of fighters and seekers. I should be able to assign these to protect or group with certain ships or Groups of ships in their own formation (star, circle, box, etc)Maybe go 2 or 3 linked squadrons deep to create a fleet. (the AAA ships protect the flanking ships with little AAA protect of their own, who in turn form squads protecting ships of the line, who form their own squad making the fleet)

2 I agree with the post on the dynamic research. Perhaps though allow a base set of stable tech giving certain abilitys then above that (which would definately not include all tech routes) have a percentage chance to aquire knoweldge of a new ability, then a percentage chance to use it in a new device. Then after it is invented allow a given chance for it to be improved.. say in size and effectiveness for 100% (some items size and effectiveness are not relevant but it would improve in to value areas maybe maintenance cost and effectivness). It would work like this you are researching a lvl 4 tech therefore your base chance is racial+(investment/lvl)+time to make a breakthrough. Then racial+(investment/time*number of devices at this tech level)+time ti invent a useable device. Then racial+(investment/lvl of device)+time would allow improvements to the device. Please note that the 2nd and third racial modifers are practical or applied modifers and the frist is a theoretical modifer so they would be different modifers.

3 Satellites that orbit during combat or have limited movement to position during combat (like we manuever statellites today)

4 Resources... need to have the movement and shipping of resources. The right amount of resources delivered to the right place or construction stops... and you wont be able to build that battlestation needed to stop the enemies advance. Maybe 4 resources metal, organic, mineral, energy. Have the intial config of the resources as setting up trade routes between planets, with a slider to set the size of the merchant fleet with a cost associated with it. A larger empire if not well planned and organized maybe endanger of not being able to have a large enough military fleet to fend off a smaller empire that needs a small merchant fleet and can afford a larger military. The penalties for setting up the wrong trade routes would be that your merchant fleet would need to be larger costing more and some build centers may not get the materials they need. The benfits of good trade routes are smaller fleet, and build centers always having what they need. Trade routes would determine what sorts of resources get shipped to which locations. They would have entry for amount shipped and type (of resource shipped). (BTW Resources are also consumed by populations so your organic planets would need to be able to feed the empire)

5 Item 4 means that all things would have a cost in money and resources, this means assigning more variables but provids at deeper level if play (which could always have an option to turn off)

6 Any trade route through a system with an enemy fleet has % chance (say 20) off being disrupted - meaning failure to convey resources. Any trade route running through an warp point occupied by an enemy has a high percent chance of being disruped (say 70) any trade route through a system with an enemy planet has a good chance of being disrupted (say 50).

Just some thoughts

Rasorow
Old April 7th, 2004, 03:07 PM

Brigadier General

Timstone is on a distinguished road

A moving solarsystem. Not as static as it is now. Look to Ascendancy for a nice example.

Men may control the free world, but women control the boobs.
Brent in Plaver vs. Player
Old April 7th, 2004, 03:24 PM

Corporal

Dragonswrd is on a distinguished road

I wouldn't mind seeing ships using different types of resourses. Like some sort of energy for the engines and energy weapons, food for the crew, if it has a crew. Maybe you have to build the missiles for your ships, so when your out of missiles you have to go and reload. I am sure someone else may have written something like this, but I didn't want to read over 50 pages of stuff.
Old April 10th, 2004, 02:30 PM

Lieutenant Colonel

General Woundwort is on a distinguished road

You all should be interested to know that this list just got culled and forwarded to Aaron. Cross your fingers...
Old April 11th, 2004, 11:50 AM

Brigadier General

Timstone is on a distinguished road

This list? Hah, it's more of a continues story. Well, like you said General, keep your fingers crossed.

Men may control the free world, but women control the boobs.
Brent in Plaver vs. Player
Old April 11th, 2004, 05:23 PM

First Lieutenant

PsychoTechFreak is on a distinguished road

I'd like to see more fine-tuning game setup options:

1) Allow/disable trading systems, planets, resources, technology, ships, units, star charts, treaty, comm channels (that is all I find in the existing trade windows).

2) Allow Restrictions to alliance levels, e.g. max. treaty = trade+research

3) A new "treaty" called "unknown" which is the starting treaty of all races. There should be the following switch linked to this treaty:
Unknown first contact = hostile/friendly
I guess you know what I mean, do ships always attack and explode in minefields at first contact or do we allow a friendly first contact.

4) Allow to setup an AI-only game with some goals like:
-AI simulation for x turns, then stop (to jump into the game)
-until research goal (like warp point opening)
-until number of planets/systems/ships

[ April 11, 2004, 16:24: Message edited by: PsychoTechFreak ]
Old April 12th, 2004, 07:44 AM

Private

Fire is on a distinguished road

It would be nice to have an automatic scroller on the ship building screen. Put the scroller at either end of the equipment list so you can go through the equipment by holding down the scroll button instead of clicking the mouse forever. This would be especially nice if you ever put older technologies on your ship. If you open up the technology section from only the latest to all techs the list get very long.
Old April 12th, 2004, 10:31 AM

Private

Rusty_Nail is on a distinguished road

I would like to see an expanded tactical combat stand alone game for MP. Each game would have a resource limit and participants could design whatever ship or ships they wished with the tech level available. This could be organized as best three out of seven one-on-one knockout, for example. It would only take a few minutes for each round. The possible variations are endless.