.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 3: The Awakening > Multiplayer and AARs

Old September 11th, 2012, 04:58 PM

Major General

Valerius is on a distinguished road
Default Re: New Game - MA Microless

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdonj View Post
What? You wanted to knock down that fort wall so you started researching construction to build wall shakers and then realized two turns later that you can't actually build items so you just wasted two turns of research? I can't imagine that happening
Lol, no it's the path boosters that get me. I keep finding myself thinking "I'll give mage x path booster y and then they can cast z." Happened again this turn.

As far as Constr. goes, I look at it like all those empty levels are an extra cost because weapons of sharpness is just that good.
Old September 14th, 2012, 07:31 PM

Major General

In the event there's a Microless 2 what about seeding indie provinces with items using elmokki's Scavengenator program? So there are a finite number of magic items - rare artifacts of an earlier, more magically powerful, age and only given to the top mages and SCs as opposed to every two bit thug walking around with a frost brand.

Plus, early wars would be chaotic with commanders having random equipment to slug it out. And there's an additional incentive to focus your pretender build on early expansion to get as many items as possible.
Old September 15th, 2012, 09:08 AM

Major

AreaOfEffect is on a distinguished road

To the nations of Ermor, and to those looking in on the battle for Machaka's Capitol, I have to ask but one question.

Are you not entertained?
Guide Supplement: LA Man - Castle Warfare
Referance: Prophet Transformations
Old September 15th, 2012, 01:02 PM

Major

On a more serious note. I want to thank you all for a pleasant gaming experience. I can't claim to have been too involved in the politics of this particular game. My interactions with you all have been, sadly, minimal.

For those who don't know, I picked a fight with Ermor. A fight I have certainly did not win in the slightest. Through the help of Jontunhiem I have been beaten me back to my capitol. My situation has been grim for some time now. Knowing this for a dozen rounds now, I've decided to continue my fight regardless of this minor detail.

The defense of Machaka this last turn has been the high point in my campaign. That said, I'm afraid my doom is at hand and I wanted to wish the other nations luck and fortune. May your deaths be glorious and may you witness the beauty of conflict at its peak of tragedy.
Old September 15th, 2012, 04:52 PM

Major General

Quote:
Originally Posted by AreaOfEffect View Post
Are you not entertained?
I was until you killed my scout. They're not easy to come by with no indies, you know.

Quote:
For those who don't know, I picked a fight with Ermor. A fight I have certainly did not win in the slightest. Through the help of Jontunhiem I have been beaten me back to my capitol. My situation has been grim for some time now. Knowing this for a dozen rounds now, I've decided to continue my fight regardless of this minor detail.
Yeah, if you launch an attack and the attacked party manages to win then you just say "well done". But I did want to say nice job continuing to fight despite the outcome being virtually certain.

Btw, I thought the Ogres' start location was bad but yours is just horrible.
Old September 15th, 2012, 08:09 PM

First Lieutenant

jimbojones1971 is on a distinguished road

It has been fun, AoE - looking forward to playing with you again in future games :-)

And yes, i have been entertained!

Quote:
Through the help of Jontunhiem I have been beaten me back to my capitol. My situation has been grim for some time now. Knowing this for a dozen rounds now, I've decided to continue my fight regardless of this minor detail.
I was a bit undecided about whether to stay neutral in the war, to tip in with Machaka (you), or to ally with Ermor. In the end, Ermor was a lot more diplomatically active than you which made me think he'd be a better long term ally, so that was my reason for choosing him over you. Or i like purple more than orange. One of the two, I can't actually remember which.
Old September 16th, 2012, 01:41 AM

General

rdonj is on a distinguished road

AoE - Ermor could have lived without that battle going so poorly :P It is going to make things much more painful than might be explicitly desired.

And I'm glad you had a good time in this game, and have been able to keep a positive attitude I hope you've enjoyed this game and the weird settings haven't put you or anyone else off too much. I think machaka actually did fairly well under the circumstances.

That was going to be a very hard battle for ermor to win on its own, as well. A machaka rush before the end of the expansion phase is certainly a ballsy tactic, and not one that Ermor had anticipated. The phoenix pretender turned it into quite the slog as well, with large numbers of troops perishing for every inch of ground taken. You've fought well so far. It's funny that things shifted so quickly between Ermor's greatest triumph (destroying the phoenix god) and its greatest defeat (yeah, this turn, in the capital, with the flaming arrows).

Thank you for fighting on even under the specter of defeat. It's always gratifying to see players fight on until the end, doing their best to inflict pain on their enemies! I'd wish you luck in the coming battles, but I'm afraid I'm a bit biased at this point :P

Quote:
On a more serious note. I want to thank you all for a pleasant gaming experience. I can't claim to have been too involved in the politics of this particular game. My interactions with you all have been, sadly, minimal.

The defense of Machaka this last turn has been the high point in my campaign. That said, I'm afraid my doom is at hand and I wanted to wish the other nations luck and fortune. May your deaths be glorious and may you witness the beauty of conflict at its peak of tragedy.
"Easy-slay(TM) is a whole new way of marketing violence. It cuts down on all the red tape and just butchers people. As a long-time savagery enthusiast myself, I'm very excited about the synergies that the easy-slay(TM) approach brings to the entire enterprise." -Dr DrP
Old September 19th, 2012, 04:01 AM

First Lieutenant

jimbojones1971 is on a distinguished road

From the charts at least, it looks like it was Armageddon II - The Rematch in Machaka's capital this turn.

I gather Ermor won, as Machaka has no provinces and basically no army, but wow - that is an impressive drop for the second turn running in the size of the Ermorian legions too.

Anyone want to supply some details? Alas, I did not have a scout to hand to witness the epic battle first hand.
Old September 19th, 2012, 10:46 AM

Major

It was pitched battle with me leading off with flaming arrows and some undead spam. I had one trampling behemoth left, and three trolls. I had hoped that my only astral mage would body ethereal most of them, but alas he kept targeting the same solitary troll.

If perhaps I had left the trolls on the sideline, it might have gone even better for me. I also forgot to give the needed nature gem to my mage casting haste upon the elite squad of summoned units. I wanted behemoth + haste, I got undead spam instead. My other units included the hodge-pod of PD in the center and my masses of archers firing from the upper flank.

Meanwhile, on the other side of the field, my opponent set up his communion of thaumaturgs. Honestly, his technique for setting those up needs a little work, but I shouldn't complain since I'm defeated. Arranged in front and to the sides where his masses of longdead cavalry. In the middle was solid line of Ermorian infantry.

The battle begins and for quite a while it became a rousing success on my side. However, the endurance of the communion made the difference. Skelly spam was rampent and when all other units where fallen, they continued the fight on the behalf of Ermor. When my archers were all out of arrows, then the end became emanate. I finally retreated and no land left around would provide safe haven for my broken army.

The battle takes about 5 minutes to see, even with fast forward on, and is quite epic.
Old September 19th, 2012, 11:08 AM

General

rdonj is on a distinguished road

Yeah I've been playing the last few turns and I just can't be bothered to work out proper scripting. Sorry about that. My heart just really isn't in it. I don't think I can play dominions MP anymore :P

It pretty much went how AoE described. Flaming arrows made short work of the ermorian legions, not to mention the longdead cav. Though the initial forces did cause some damage, it was mostly the communion that carried the day for ermor, driving off most of machaka's remaining troops and mages. Something like 20 ermorian soldiers survived the battle.
"Easy-slay(TM) is a whole new way of marketing violence. It cuts down on all the red tape and just butchers people. As a long-time savagery enthusiast myself, I'm very excited about the synergies that the easy-slay(TM) approach brings to the entire enterprise." -Dr DrP