Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > The Camo Workshop > WinSPMBT > TO&Es
Notices

Old July 27th, 2006, 05:11 PM

Captain

thatguy96 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Vietnam Specific OOBs

Well I could probably release the basic Ver3 immediately, but I'm waiting on PlasmaKrab who's been nice enough to volunteer his assistance in getting together an icon pack to go along with this (this will also include the icons that were created for Laurent Touchard's pack, who was nice enough to send me them for my own use as well). I had released the last version as a sort of hold over until I could get this graphic enhancement incorporated. I'd rather not release another version until then. I'd hope that he would be done by the end of August at the latest, but who knows, people have lives outside of Steel Panthers which have a direct effect on things.

The Total conversion, which is right now just the additional "USAF" Obat is something that might stay in the pipeline for longer. My plan to allow it to overlay over the existing pack means that I could easily keep working on it in the background before releasing any version of it. I got the idea from Laurent Touchard who had set his pack up similarly (but much more in depth). We'll see how far I get by the time I'm ready to release Ver3, but its even more ambitious than what I've got going now.
Old July 28th, 2006, 05:52 AM

Second Lieutenant

Warhero is on a distinguished road

Sounds good. How about new sounds (like Laurent's mod had)? Heh if someone could convert ALL Laurent's stuff into WinMBT... I mean, all those tribe/special forces/other allies (South Korea etc,). And zillion formations of course!

It would be blast!
Old July 28th, 2006, 09:51 AM

Captain

I have all of Laurent's unfinished work. I never talked to him about the sounds, but as I've been unable to contact him recently, I've been trying to shy away from using large chunks of it. The icons I had recieved seperately, with the implications that since they weren't his he had no right to hold them for himself.

The sound I really need is a relevant one for the loudspeakers
Old September 7th, 2006, 05:33 AM

Second Lieutenant

Any news about next version? And is Laurent going to improve his/your files any way in future? I mean it could be blast to see all Viet War Pack stuff in WinMBT:P... Especially those great plane icons/oobs/sounds!
Old September 7th, 2006, 09:21 AM

Captain

Actually Laurent is back (at least with me via Email) and he's more enthusiastic about getting his project done that I've seen him in the last couple of months. He was essentially out of commission for personal reasons over the summer, but there's more hope than when the summer started that his pack might well be finished.

I've been doing some work on and off, but my first year back in school for my masters has started and needless to say I've become quite busy.

I suggest reading the thread over here, where I had posted the last set of readme files. I've done some work since those were posted too though.
Old October 8th, 2006, 12:50 AM

Captain

I have a question. Would people want a release of the basic pack or would they rather wait until more of the Total Conversion is complete to go along with it?

Go here for more info: http://www.strategyzoneonline.com/fo...ad.php?t=43306
Old October 8th, 2006, 02:28 PM

Second Lieutenant

Do you mean that you will release only oobs (for example) and rest later? I have nothing against it at all... I suppose that you don't have any new icons (which need new oobs)? Viet War Pack is great mod (only reason I still have old dos version on my HD)and it would be great to get into WinMBT too...
Old October 8th, 2006, 02:57 PM

Captain

I've responded to your question in the other thread on the SZO forum.
Old October 10th, 2006, 05:50 PM

Captain

Attached is the release of The Vietnam Specific OOB Project V3. This is the Basic pack, and is designed to mesh relatively well with existing scenarios and saved games. Those playing as either the US Army or as the ARVN might experience some issues.

Most important, back up icons and possibly text before overwriting and copying from the zip. The easiest way to install this pack is to:

1) Extract into the Custom OOBs folder

2) Move the graphics folder, picture folder, and text folder into the Game Data folder. Just hit yes to all, and copy over all the files.

Another note, the text file has a folder called "Text for VSP ONLY." At the moment you'll want to copy this over as well into the main text file. This will only matter once the Total Conversion Pack is released.

Certain units and formations changed positions when moved or applied to the new OOBs in the Total Conversion, so certain text files point to the wrong units in that case. Don't worry about this now, text will be provided with the Total Conversion Pack that will overwrite these and correct it. The distinction and seperation is really only provided for when the two packs are installed together and some people want to install just the VSP. They will need the proper text files in this case.

Otherwise the basics are as follows, and you can consult the included readme for the specifics:

- Over 200 new units and 100 new formations across 9 OOBs

- A largely overhauled ARVN OOB now including a variety of paramilitary forces.

- Just over 100 new icons thanks to Plasmakrab (first and foremost), Mark Shepard and Laurent Touchard (who supplied me with his and did some of the work I believe)

- New formation and encyclopedia text

- A detailed Readme with documentation of the changes since the last release (v2.7) and a near complete bibliography of my sources of information

With all that I hope you enjoy it. Feedback, as always, is appreciated.

Thanks, Joe "Thatguy" Trevithick
Attached Files
File Type: zip 455481-Vietnam Specific 3.zip (316.1 KB, 225 views)
Old October 12th, 2006, 10:48 AM

Second Lieutenant

Great stuff Joe! Especially ARVN oob. Can't wait to get Total Conversion... I suppose that you will add Laurent's sounds into that too? And how about scens/campaigns?