.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

BCT Commander- Save $8.00
winSPWW2- Save $5.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > The Camo Workshop > WinSPMBT > Campaigns, Scenarios & Maps
Notices

Old April 8th, 2015, 07:11 PM

Captain

wulfir is on a distinguished road
Default Help with setup

I would like some help with the purchase and deployment of the Soviet forces in the attached scenario. It does not matter if you are an experienced player or not.

I need you to:
1) Buy the Russian forces.
2) Deploy them on the map.
3) Save and uplad the files here.

Rules:
- The Soviet force should be realistic.
- The Soviet units must all be drawn from the VDV airborne forces.
- Any artillery must be of the type found in airborne divisions.
- All artillery must also be deployed on map, i.e. no off map arty.
- Supporting Air Strike Elements should be of the long range type.

Background:

It is August 1985. WWIII has broken out in Europe. Heavy fighting on the central front rages. The Soviet Union demands free pasasge through Finland and Sweden, when this is denied both countries are attacked. While heavy fighting in Finland rages a sea and airborne invasion of southern Sweden is staged by WP forces, primarily Sovet units.

One airborne operation is directed against the smaller size Everoed Airfield.

The Soviet airborne force manages to dislodge the incomplete home guard and local defence units at Everoed and capture the runway intact. The size of the Soviet force and if it has access to supporting arms and airborne AFVs is unknown.

Approaching the airfield, two hours after it was first sized by the Soviets, are elements of the Swedish PB26 Armoured Brigade...

Attached Files
File Type: rar Everoed_Airport.rar (175.9 KB, 378 views)
The Following User Says Thank You to wulfir For This Useful Post:
Old April 8th, 2015, 07:42 PM

Corporal

Duzmond is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Help with setup

Is there some website that would give someone an idea of what realistic forces would be? I'd like to do it,but I'm not sure I can be as realistic as you would like.
The Following User Says Thank You to Duzmond For This Useful Post:
Old April 9th, 2015, 01:58 AM

Captain

http://www.societaitalianastoriamili...-June-1989.pdf

Here's an example:

Soviet Air Assault Brigade

Bde HQ (3 inf SAM)

2 Assault Bn (each with 34 BMD, 8 120mm Mortar, 6 AGS-17, 9 SPG-9, 9 inf-SAM)

2 Parachute Bn (each with 500 troops, 6 inf-ATGM, 8 120mm Mortar, 6 AGS-17, 9 SPG-9, 9 inf-SAM)

Recon Company (4 BRDM-2)

Artillery Battalion (18 D-30)

Air Defense Company (6 ZU-23, 6 inf-SAM)

Not all these formations need to be present on the map, nor do they have to be complete. The Airborne company/companies can for instance be mostly leg infantry (less transports needed to drop infantry than both the infantry and their BMDs).

(I ignored the BM-21 of the artillery bn as I doubt they can be dropped with parachute. I'm not so sure about the BRDM-2s, but maybe they were able to drop them with parachutes.)

You decide the strength of the Soviets - the drop might have gone wrong, maybe it went perfectly. Maybe they have other more important operations where resources are allocated, this could be a feint - maybe this is the crucial operation. The Soviet objecive is however the airfield.

Do not worry about playbalance - this setup allows for totally loopsided affairs.
The Following User Says Thank You to wulfir For This Useful Post:
Old April 9th, 2015, 02:27 AM

Lieutenant General

Suhiir is on a distinguished road

I'll give it a go too.

Couple questions ...
I'm not overly familiar with Soviet aircraft, what aircraft types are long range ground support?
Is it possible (in range?) for one of the Air Assault Bns to have been delivered via helo?

People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people.

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe." - Albert Einstein
The Following User Says Thank You to Suhiir For This Useful Post:
Old April 9th, 2015, 02:49 AM

Lieutenant General

Duzmond

You might find this useful.
http://fas.org/irp/doddir/army/fm100-2-3.pdf

People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people.

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe." - Albert Einstein
The Following User Says Thank You to Suhiir For This Useful Post:
Old April 9th, 2015, 04:08 AM

Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suhiir View Post
I'm not overly familiar with Soviet aircraft, what aircraft types are long range ground support?
IIRC the Su-24 had greater range than the Su-7, Su-17 or the Su-25.

Quote:
Is it possible (in range?) for one of the Air Assault Bns to have been delivered via helo?
If they are flying from East Germany or Poland it's doable. With the bigger helicopters like the Mi-6 it might even be possible from Kaliningrad/the Baltic Military District - but maybe not fully loaded... (?)
Old April 9th, 2015, 04:31 AM

Lieutenant General

Been doing some digging.
Apparently the BMD-2 and RPG-22 were both introduced in 1985 so unless this is a critically important objective it's not likely they'll be present.

I think it's probable there would be one helo lift of some of the heavier equipment (ASU-85s, a few ATGs, and general supplies/ammo). And probably a couple MI-24s (flown in if they can mid-air refuel or as cargo).

Old April 9th, 2015, 05:06 AM

Captain

Quote:
Been doing some digging.
Apparently the BMD-2 and RPG-22 were both introduced in 1985 so unless this is a critically important objective it's not likely they'll be present.
Well, there's the the BMD-1...

But to put things in context - there's a major war in Europe, the central front is the WP Schwerpunkt. It is belived that to the Soviets/WP Sweden is not of any great importance in itself, but Norway is - and forcing the Norwegian Lyngen position requires moving through Sweden.

An invasion of Finland and northern Sweden is being undertaken by TVD Northwest, while elements of TVD West stage an airborne and amphibous invasion of Gotland island and the south of Sweden.

The bulk of the qualified amphibous assets are depoyed against Denmark, but the Soviets have taken notice of the British invasion at San Carlos water and attempt to establish bridgeheads over open beach on multiple locations along the Swedish coast with less qualified naval and army assets.

If all goes well the airborne element is not expected to hold on its own for too long before there's a linkup with seaborne forces. The high capacity container harbour of Åhus could be of importance to further Soviet operations, but multiple landings are staged on other locations threatening to overwhelm the Swedish defence...
Old April 9th, 2015, 05:17 AM

Lieutenant General

That helps!

Good to know the overall situation to put the scenario into prospective.

I'm presuming the entire Airborne Brigade isn't at the airfield. I'd say about half, the other half being used elsewhere or in reserve for future operations.

They landed about three hours ago so probably have foxholes and a few mines out but that's about it.

Old April 9th, 2015, 05:29 AM

Captain

Quote:
I'm presuming the entire Airborne Brigade isn't at the airfield. I'd say about half, the other half being used elsewhere or in reserve for future operations.
You are the boss.

Most of the brigade, or portions - your call.

If you wish draw forces from a Soviet Airborne division...

The Soviets do not have to be in perfect shape either, friction happens in war. They have managed, without too much effort, to defeat the weak Swedish local defence at the airport, and secure the landing strip intact.

Soviet recon assets have also picked up signs of a Swedish counterattack - elements of the Swedish PB26 Armoured Brigade are belived to be en route...