.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

BCT Commander- Save $8.00
winSPWW2- Save $5.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Shrapnel Community > The Honorably Discharged > Dungeon Odyssey

Old March 29th, 2004, 09:19 AM

Sergeant

henk brouwer is on a distinguished road
Default Dungeon Odyssey is everywhere

I just downloaded a freeware character generator, to create a character for a Dungeons and Dragons 3.5 roleplaying campaign I'm going to participate in.

Imagine my suprise when I started the program and saw that it uses David Gervaises dungeon odyssey graphics . Here's the program, the site has some screenshots:

http://www.dark-legacy.com/redblade3...ex.php?to=news

The thing is, that I can't find any section where credit is given to David, I could have just missed it though. I hope he has permision to use these graphics.

Anyhow, Great work on the graphics David

[ March 29, 2004, 09:49: Message edited by: henk brouwer ]

Christmas module v1.05 (attached to first post)

Xerathul's Revenge v0.5
Old March 29th, 2004, 01:48 PM

General

David E. Gervais is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Dungeon Odyssey is everywhere

Quote:
Originally posted by henk brouwer:
I just downloaded a freeware character generator, to create a character for a Dungeons and Dragons 3.5 roleplaying campaign I'm going to participate in.

Imagine my suprise when I started the program and saw that it uses David Gervaises dungeon odyssey graphics . Here's the program, the site has some screenshots:

http://www.dark-legacy.com/redblade3...ex.php?to=news

The thing is, that I can't find any section where credit is given to David, I could have just missed it though. I hope he has permision to use these graphics.

Anyhow, Great work on the graphics David
Hi, Henk

Thanks for the heads-up. I checked out the program and you're right, there is no mention of me in the info or readme. But in the read.me he mentions where he got the tiles and I checked out that link. way at the bottom of the page in the files section is a link to a file called simply dg.zip.

Not to worry, this file comes from the TK Versions of angband and is officially freeware. I did send an e-mail to both people to have them mention my name in the credits and download file description.

Oh, and one more thing, those tiles are not exclusive to Dungeon Odyssey. In fact all the 'Tiles' in DO are from my freeware collection. The only thing 'Exclusive to Dungeon Odyssey' is all the GUI stuff.

History: Did you know that this is how Aaron found this lonely artist? He saw my RPG tiles and liked them. He then contacted me to see if he could use them in a game he was creating. (Called Venture Fourth) well, not only did I let him use the Existing tiles, but he caught me just when I was creating a whole new Isometric set (terrain and walls) and before you know it, I was neck deep in league with Aaron making a RPG game. At some point in the dev cycle I suggested he change the name to Dungeon Odyssey. He liked the name and it eventually got published through Shrapnel. You know the rest of this story.

Aaah, that was a fun walk down memory lane.

Have a great day, Cheers!
Old March 30th, 2004, 09:50 AM

Sergeant

henk brouwer is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by David Gervais:History: Did you know that this is how Aaron found this lonely artist? He saw my RPG tiles and liked them. He then contacted me to see if he could use them in a game he was creating. (Called Venture Fourth) well, not only did I let him use the Existing tiles, but he caught me just when I was creating a whole new Isometric set (terrain and walls) and before you know it, I was neck deep in league with Aaron making a RPG game. At some point in the dev cycle I suggested he change the name to Dungeon Odyssey. He liked the name and it eventually got published through Shrapnel. You know the rest of this story.

Aaah, that was a fun walk down memory lane.

Have a great day, Cheers!
Interesting bit of hisory. It also nicely illustrates why it is important that people give proper credit when they use someone elses work.

Henk

Edit: Messed up the quote.. I can't seem to make a single post without having to edit it afterwards.. sigh...

[ March 30, 2004, 07:52: Message edited by: henk brouwer ]

Christmas module v1.05 (attached to first post)

Xerathul's Revenge v0.5
Old December 4th, 2004, 05:48 AM

Private

Devilsbane is on a distinguished road

Quote:
David E. Gervais said:

Not to worry, this file comes from the TK Versions of angband and is officially freeware.
Any idea where I can find a copy of the TK Version of Angband? [img]/threads/images/Graemlins/Dagger.gif[/img] [img]/threads/images/Graemlins/icon42.gif[/img]
I feel like some Balrog hunting!
Old December 4th, 2004, 09:24 AM

Corporal

ace joh is on a distinguished road

you can get it from http://www.the-underdogs.org/game.php?id=3624, the title says ZangbandTK, but they included angbandTK as a seperate bonus.
Old December 6th, 2004, 10:14 PM

General

Ed Kolis is on a distinguished road

Say... Did Aaron SERIOUSLY call it "Venture FOURTH"? I know he has a penchant for misspelling things ("Vechicle Type List Override" anyone? Not to mention the numerous ones that were fixed in various patches) but the title of one of his games? Boy would THAT have been embarrassing
Old December 7th, 2004, 09:06 AM

General

David E. Gervais is on a distinguished road

Venture Fourth? or Venture Forth? hmmm, that could be my typo.

as for OmnibandTK you can find all the files you need and install instructions here..

OmniBandTK Files and alot more..

Get the files listed in this readme file.. Install Instructions

It's fairly straightforward. KAngband is my favorite, I even made some new scenario's for it. (included in the download)

Enjoy!