.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 3: The Awakening

View Poll Results: Do you like to play with score graphs in MP?
score graphs On please 17 56.67%
score graphs OFF please. 13 43.33%
Voters: 30. You may not vote on this poll

Old July 11th, 2012, 11:50 PM

Captain

Immaculate is on a distinguished road
Default Do you like score graphs in MP?

Very simple poll. Do you like to play with score graphs on in multi-player? Feel free to elaborate as to why you like them or don't like them
Old July 12th, 2012, 02:11 AM

General

rdonj is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Do you like score graphs in MP?

On. Because many people aren't very good at scouting, and graphs off games have a tendency to have runaway leaders as a result, who oftentimes go unchecked. It makes for faster games, but also generally a bit unsatisfying.
"Easy-slay(TM) is a whole new way of marketing violence. It cuts down on all the red tape and just butchers people. As a long-time savagery enthusiast myself, I'm very excited about the synergies that the easy-slay(TM) approach brings to the entire enterprise." -Dr DrP
Old July 12th, 2012, 06:05 AM

Major

Fantomen is on a distinguished road

In theory, I like the idea of having them off and relying on "real" scouting. But in practice I can't cope with the metagame problems of not being able to see who's leading, games that should have been declared won by concession drag on forever. Graphs off can work when there is a fixed victory condition though.
Old July 12th, 2012, 08:53 AM

Lieutenant Colonel

Amhazair is on a distinguished road

Generally I prefer to play with graphs of. Makes for more uncertainty, insecurity, and forces you to scout extensively. The exception to this are no-diplomacy games (where you can't discuss the state of the games and general threats with your co-players) and games with a big disparity in player experience/quality. (Since having the graphs off gives a big advantage to whever the game leaders may be)
Old July 12th, 2012, 02:41 PM

Corporal

Snacktime is on a distinguished road

I think diplomacy is far more enjoyable with graphs on. I don't think it's fun to find out belatedly "oh, I guess [Nation] was really kicking everyone's ***, too bad we didn't do anything about it a long time ago."

And even with graphs on there is still a lot that is not known - army size is a poor measure of strength, what exact research paths have been taken, luck and blood income, battle tactics, exact troop location, etc.

I actually don't think I would play another graphs off game, just my preference.
Old July 12th, 2012, 02:59 PM

First Lieutenant

mattyburn7 is on a distinguished road

I like it both ways (boy, that didn't come our right! LOL). I voted off, but find both on and off have advantages and disadvantages. Would prefer to play both styles moving forward.
Old July 13th, 2012, 04:29 AM

Second Lieutenant

HoleyDooley is on a distinguished road

Matt, does your wife know about both of your "styles"? Very understanding of her if she does.
Old July 13th, 2012, 08:46 AM

First Lieutenant

mattyburn7 is on a distinguished road

she's extremtely understanding. We won't even go into my thing with fish (my 3rd "style").

No offense intended towards any fish or protectors of fish of course.
Old July 13th, 2012, 04:45 PM

Sergeant

Kobal2 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fantomen View Post
In theory, I like the idea of having them off and relying on "real" scouting. But in practice I can't cope with the metagame problems of not being able to see who's leading, games that should have been declared won by concession drag on forever. Graphs off can work when there is a fixed victory condition though.

Pretty much this. I don't like the dogpiling inherent in graphs-on games ("he's at war ! he's lost two provinces, it's all over for him, let's get some chunks before it's too late !!" times neighbours ), but on the other hand with graphs off it's much harder to figure out who's the big dangerous dog, and as such he more often than not they get away with being twice as big/efficient/powerful as anyone else before anyone can really understand what's going on.

I wish there were a hybrid graph setting, where you'd get the graphs (at least the dominion, army & forts ones) based on what your forces see and your scouting reports. Same for the gem graph - if you've seen the sites in a province and an opponent take it, update his graph accordingly. Maybe also an incremental research graph that would update the total each time you witness an opponent casting a new spell/new global/new forged item. You can do both of the latter by hand of course, but it's a bit of a PITA to keep your notes up to date. Possibly also an automatic, toggleable collating of graph info between players, which would share the info you have on everyone else but not yourself ?
Maybe in Dom 4...
Old July 13th, 2012, 05:54 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Gandalf Parker is on a distinguished road

Not to stomp a useful thread, but since it was brought up...

In past discussions some good points were made about what a world like this would operate as under semi-DarkAges type settings. Some said at least part of the graphs were good, other parts were said to be too specific.

One argument I liked is that everyone would know something about who is in the lead. Not exact numbers but WHO had the biggest army, the most castles, the best magic, the highest dominion. Even if your nation did not have personal contact they would hear about such legendary nations off in the unexplored distance. But information about the least and smallest nation would require direct scouting. When meeting a new nation the only thing you would know for sure is that its not the legendary big-bad you have heard rumors about.

One hybrid that was discussed was that each turn, the server would take the scores file that the game outputs
http://game.dom3minions.com/games/St...ks/scores.html
and modify it into one that shows only WHO is in the lead in each category. And it would not give a number for how many forts or how much army. Just who is on top. Looking at the example I linked to you can easily see how that would affect strategy knowing who is the biggest worry, but not knowing who is the easy target. It would still allow dogpiling agreements

Such a hybrid score file would not be hard to do for any of the game servers. The Dom3 game has a "pre" and "post" file setting to call special instructions before and after each hosting. Usually used to do things like move the scores file to a web viewable directory. It can easily run a modification script and then move that instead on each turn. In-faile graphs would be turned off and the web file would give you the world-wide gossip.