Bronze- Save $9.00
winSPMBT: Main Battle Tank- Save $5.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > The Camo Workshop > WinSPMBT
Notices

Old June 19th, 2018, 04:24 AM

Second Lieutenant

RightDeve is on a distinguished road
Default Update Schedule

With the current patch schedule, we have to wait one year for any fixes to be implemented.

I propose the following:

For the big update (with big new features), it's okay to be yearly. But for fixes or any introduction of small features, the update shall be more frequent. So in essence, there are major versions and minor versions update, e.g: version 13 for the yearly update, and then version 13.1 for the intermediate update.

This has the following the benefits:

1). The player base can playtest whatever fixes or new features on the go.
2). Then the fixes are immediately implemented to the current game, and back to no. 1 if there's any more quirks/bugs.
3). The forums will be visited more as players are constantly waiting for the new updates.
4). With more frequent updates, in turn there will be more announcements, and thus spreading the words more about this game.
5). The big yearly update is still there so people are really anticipating for the big new changes to the game.
6). I don't know.

The only downside that I can think of is that players will need to patch more often.
So maybe the patcher software can be made more convenient, e.g the GameOptions.exe has an automated detection of new version and then installs it in the correct folder location (automatically). Etc

Any thoughts?

Cheers!
Old June 19th, 2018, 05:00 AM

Second Lieutenant

RightDeve is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Update Schedule

Other thoughts that come into mind:

1). It is undeniable for a game to be popular nowadays, it needs to be based mainly on multiplayer. And not just multiplayer, but convenient, easy, and quick multiplayer mode (PBEM is honestly too slow and the mechanics too cumbersome for the average folks, let alone those new to the game). The current gigantic explosion of multiplayer-based games can attest to this fact, with subsequent hundreds of billion dollars in profit EACH month. IF Steel Panthers can have such easy & quick multiplayer mode, then more and more people will play this game. Some people may say such a thing only happens in fast shooter 3D games. But I'd say, while it's true that gigantic explosions happen on such games ("battle royale" games such as Fortnite amassed nearly 100 MILLION players in a span of 1 year only), we need to take a look at the turn-based, ancient game of Chess. At Chess.com there are on average 2.5 MILLION games per day, with online players amounted to 50 THOUSAND per day. Now I'm not saying that Steel Panthers can reach those figures (it's not as ancient and popular as Chess), but compared to the offline player base, I believe it will be a huge huge leap forward.

2. So maybe the developers can set up a way so people can have easy and convenient multiplayer matches. Obviously they must set up a server, and then maybe the game is played in a time-limited mode, turn by turn. Just like in Chess.com, players can have a 30 minute match, 10 minute match, etc. In SP terms, MAYBE a player can be restricted to 5 minutes per turn, etc. Obviously there's a clock to show & warn the player about their remaining time. But the most important thing is that we can see what's going on the battlefield, real time as the opponent moves, so we're not bored in waiting for our turn. So it's kind of a "TELE" hot-seat mode. Such time restrictions obviously allow for a limited amount of unit pieces so MAYBE the game can automatically adjust that based on the amount of time.

3. I know this is far fetched for the current state of the game. But at least it's food for thought for a huge expansion of this tactical game. I believe there are many MANY folks out there, old and new, who'd like to test their Combined Arms tactical skills against a live opponent, quickly and easily. If talent and money are the obstacles, nowadays we can set up a "crowd-funding" campaign, for example through Kickstarter.com, in which enthusiastic fans donated certain amount of money for the completion of this huge project. Such money can then be used to hire some talents. I believe Steel Panthers has quite a big fan base, most of them are retired thus can easily dig out 50 or 100 dollars (one time only!), so let's say there are 1000 donators, you'd have 50,000 to 100,000 dollars to complete the project. So maybe the focus for the next titanic update (2020?) would be quick multiplayer modes?

Again, just a food for thought. And I'm sorry if it causes any inconveniences.

Cheers!

Last edited by RightDeve; June 19th, 2018 at 05:37 AM..
Old June 19th, 2018, 07:47 AM

First Lieutenant

zovs66 is on a distinguished road

My only food for thought is that poor old Don and Andy would get burned out and then we would not have anything at all. So not to put a damper on your suggestions, I'd rather wait a year for a patch than have nothing at all. WinSPWW2 and WinSPMBT are the only two SP games left that are in current and long term development and that I most do appreciate.

SP I, SP II, SP III and the other one have not been updated in over 17 years (plus some).

But WinSPWW2 (and WinSPMBT) have stood the test of time.

That is my cookies for thought
Old June 19th, 2018, 07:49 AM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Thanked 5,387 Times in 2,684 Posts
DRG will become famous soon enough

The schedule we have now works for us and will continue to the pattern. We are NOT going back to 2 per year

If you find you are constantly reacting to your enemy's tactics instead forcing the enemy to react to yours, you are losing the battle....
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to DRG For This Useful Post:
Old June 20th, 2018, 05:53 AM

Private

bongo is on a distinguished road

Hi,

Totally agreed with the second post.
Real time multiplayer will be a nice update (SPWAW had this option).
Ready to donate hundreds of dollars to see this game become the "New" Steel Panthers...

Maybe one day...
Old June 20th, 2018, 08:27 AM

Second Lieutenant

jivemi is on a distinguished road

Heh-heh. Are you willing to donate tens of thousands? Just my two centavos. Cheers.
Old June 20th, 2018, 11:38 AM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Thanked 5,387 Times in 2,684 Posts
DRG will become famous soon enough

We have NO ( zero ) interest in Real time multiplayer.

If you find you are constantly reacting to your enemy's tactics instead forcing the enemy to react to yours, you are losing the battle....
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to DRG For This Useful Post:
Old June 20th, 2018, 05:37 PM

National Security Advisor

Thanked 1,851 Times in 1,216 Posts
Mobhack is on a distinguished road

Absolutely none at all.

The whole point of a turn based PBEM game is that you do your turn when it suits you, post it to your opponent who deals with it when he can. Thus a guy in Finland say, can play someone in Japan without one of them having to be awake at some crazy hour in the night.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Mobhack For This Useful Post:
Old June 21st, 2018, 04:23 AM

Lieutenant Colonel

Location: Hellas->Macedonia->Thessaloniki->City Center->noisy neighbourhood
Wdll is on a distinguished road

The only problem (from my side) with more often updates/patches is the ongoing games (long campaigns etc) and the case that these minor patches could potentially hurt ongoing games if applied to the game.

BTW, let's also add 3D map which you can rotate to see real line of fire etc. (yes I am unfortunately joking about this, I would love to have it but I am not a dreamer/delusional)
Old June 22nd, 2018, 06:58 AM

General

Imp is on a distinguished road

Real time multiplayer really!! Not for this type of game.

Play my turn
Sit around waiting while he plays his, 15 minutes to an hour depending on size.
Whoops sorry you finished I went off and put up some shelves while I was waiting give me 3 minutes to watch the replay.

You could play another battle in the time you just wasted.