Bronze- Save $9.00
winSPMBT: Main Battle Tank- Save $5.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > The Camo Workshop > WinSPWW2
Notices

Old May 1st, 2019, 01:06 PM

Private

bongo is on a distinguished road
Default Serious improvement of the graphics of the game

I discovered a trick that can greatly improve the quality of graphics rendering on both games (WinSPMBT and WinSPWW2).
For that, I use the capabilities of my 27-inch 4K screen, the advanced NVidia graphics card properties, the Windows 10 tips, and a small anti-aliasing software.

First, I went into the configuration panel of my NVidia GeForce GTX 460 (it's an old graphics card but it is powerful) and I selected the activation of DSR factors (4x for my optimal setting).

Dynamic Super Resolution technology produces smoother images by artificially increasing the resolution and then downscalling the image displayed on the screen.
Then I adjusted the DSR smoothing to 50% (that's what suits me best).

I then went on to "change resolution" still in the NVidia configuration panel and chose the resolution "3840 x 2160 pixels" in the DSR resolutions available.
Once your choices are validated, your screen is now 4x larger than the original (mine was set in Ultra HD - 1920 x 1080 pixels).

Normally, Windows 10 has automatically increased the size of the menus and icons (150% on my computer). You have to go to the display settings and choose 100% for the scaling to have the most stunning results.
Start WinSPWW2 (or WinSPMBT) in "Windowed" "Desktop" mode and admire the result ...

For even more finesse, I use the software "Lossless Scaling" (scale adjustment on 1 and anti-aliasing checked) and I start it with the Hotkey once the game is launched. Even better and it allows to have the game in full screen (without the taskbar of Windows).

Here it is.
As I know that many here think that the graphic quality of the game is absolutely not a factor for their pleasure to play these games, I do not know if this tricks will be useful to someone. But for me it is a real improvement (we are almost at the graphic level of some Close Combat in my opinion). No more pixels and this old twentieth century look ...
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to bongo For This Useful Post:
Old May 1st, 2019, 02:40 PM

Private

Kritkeen is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Serious improvement of the graphics of the game

Thank you Bongo,

I use an ultra-wide monitor with 3440x1440 resolution. I'll try what you suggest as soon as possible. It would be nice to see smoother graphics when I zoom in all the way.
Old May 1st, 2019, 03:50 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Thanked 5,387 Times in 2,684 Posts
DRG will become famous soon enough

A screen shot before and after would be nice.

I have found as long as players stay with 100% then the graphic in Z4, Z6, Z7 and Z8 are as sharp as they are in the graphics program I used to create them but when people set up the game a something like 125% to get bigger text then the graphics will look terrible and the text, while larger, is no sharper but it's impossible to post a screen shot of what it should look like because the people who push the graphics past 100% will never see it.

If players are not seeing razor sharp unit Icons zoomed in all the way with the new changes that is why but if you have found a way to increase the size but not degrade the images I'm interested to hear more

If you find you are constantly reacting to your enemy's tactics instead forcing the enemy to react to yours, you are losing the battle....

Last edited by DRG; May 1st, 2019 at 04:31 PM..
Old May 1st, 2019, 05:27 PM

Major

scorpio_rocks is on a distinguished road

I am surprised the 460 can drive 4K at all!

My understanding is that a 960/970 card is the MINIMUM specification to run a 4K monitor. Perhaps you are managing to make the visuals better with your tricks but I wonder if they look less good to start because the GPU is working too hard?

Screenshots would be nice.

"Gentlemen, when the enemy is committed to a mistake - we must not interrupt him too soon."
Horatio Nelson.
SPMBT Roundel Objectives Mod
SPMBT Small ID Flags Mod
WW2 Roundel Objectives Mod
Old May 1st, 2019, 05:29 PM

Private

Kritkeen is on a distinguished road

I'm sorry to say that in my case, it didn't work out. I use windowed mode with desktop resolution setting together with borderless gaming software.

When I apply similar settings (I tried a few different levels of DSR), It looks better because in the highest zoom level your view area is also increased, meaning that you get the impression of better graphics which is nice. But side effect is that the text becomes very hard to read.

It is still possible that it works better on regular screen ratios but not worth it on 21:9 imho.
Old January 6th, 2020, 08:30 PM

Sergeant

RVPERTVS is on a distinguished road

I believe this is OT but I didn't want to start a new thread:

I installed the game on a different computer running Win10. Everything seems to be fine but I just noticed that if I have "Show Unit Detail" selected (in windowed mode) the text over the "0" unit of that formation changes tone (different tones of orange/red). Is this a feature or a hardware issue on my end? Thanks in advance.
Old January 6th, 2020, 09:29 PM

Major

scorpio_rocks is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVPERTVS View Post
the text over the "0" unit of that formation changes tone (different tones of orange/red). Is this a feature or a hardware issue on my end?
It's a feature! allowing you to quickly see the levels of command. Search for "Show/Hide Formation ID's" in the game guide:

"Gentlemen, when the enemy is committed to a mistake - we must not interrupt him too soon."
Horatio Nelson.
SPMBT Roundel Objectives Mod
SPMBT Small ID Flags Mod
WW2 Roundel Objectives Mod
The Following User Says Thank You to scorpio_rocks For This Useful Post: