.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Shrapnel Community > The Honorably Discharged > Dungeon Odyssey

Old October 29th, 2002, 09:53 PM

Private

doctorcheese is on a distinguished road
Default How random is random?

For whatever reason, I find myself really drawn to this particular title. I was always fond of SSI's Dungeon Hack (still play it) mostly because it was a different dungeon every time.

I am drawn to DO for the exact same reason, but I am wondering how really different are the maps between each game you play? I'm running through the demo right now, and though I am enjoying it, I am on a level which contains square rooms in a layout akin to city blocks. Though it is interesting to open the rooms up and peek in, I just don't feel immersed into it -- I just don't know how excited I will be to play another game and get to the same style of level, only with different content in each room.

Has anyone an opinion/observation on this?

dc
Old November 1st, 2002, 04:39 AM

Private

spoq4 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: How random is random?

It's not actually random. It's just something they said to make us buy the game.
Old November 1st, 2002, 05:37 AM

Private

Ahmo is on a distinguished road

It can be as random as the module designer wants it to be. Build a thousand tiles for your world map, give em a couple connection rules and you'll see a completely different world map every time. It's up to the module designer to make the tiles, the engine puts them togethor. You can make a map static (the same every time), by defining the tiles location. Or random by according to it's connection settings.

Read the Doc files that came with the game. They explain it a lot better than I can. The initial module is pretty static, with the key locations only spawning in a few different places each time. The full Version is like playdough, you can shape it how you please.
Old November 1st, 2002, 03:19 PM

Private

Ahmo,

Thanks for the detailed reply. I am not much of a modder myself, so I feel a bit disappointed in the advertisement which gave me the impression that each time I played, a random map is created. I will probably never create a module myself, and probably won't spend a lot of time searching for them, so I have some regrets.

I have the demo now, but I just can't see myself shelling the $30 for it without this type of feature..

dc
Old November 1st, 2002, 06:09 PM

Private

Mysterial is on a distinguished road

The first patch is including a new module; maybe it'll be more random than the first was.
Old November 1st, 2002, 07:51 PM

Private

Still makes me feel mislead. I mean let's face it, this isn't exactly a cutting-edge title, so eye- and ear- candy isn't what's going to keep you coming back. And just because of that, the following on this title will be very limited, and so there won't be oodles of new chapters out there to use. It's really tough to justify the investment.

My gripe, I know. Just thought I found a diamond in the rough.... Sigh...

dc
Old November 3rd, 2002, 07:56 AM

Sergeant

Quikngruvn is on a distinguished road

If the following for DO is a fraction of that of Malfador's other titles (see: Space Empires IV), then the DO community will be vibrant indeed. There's also no reason to believe that Aaron won't give the same attention to patching and upgrading that he does for SEIV, so support isn't an issue. The modules will come, and they will be more... well, just more than Crown of the Magi. (No offense intended to Aaron, since he had slightly more than creating modules on his plate. ) Figure, playing a new module when it comes out would be better than forking over 30+ dollars for a new game.... Anyway, that's my opinion, and basically why I'm excited about this game (which is thoroughly addicting, by the way).

Quikngruvn
Old November 4th, 2002, 02:01 AM

General

David E. Gervais is on a distinguished road

...Speaking of upcomming modules, when I finish mine, expect a bunch of new graphics to go with it. I'm in a unique place where when I think up a new module (and I have more than a few ideas!) I am not limited to the current palette of bmp's. Although many of my ideas involve using the current bmp's in a different manner. like 'outdoor dungeons' where I use trees and mountains instead of walls! (scoop,.. I'm currently working on some 'Cliff' edging tiles that will give the wilderness map more depth. Good for places like the 'vally of snakes' or a more dramatic entrance to the 'pit of death'.)

Nuf said for now, Have a great day, Cheers!