.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

BCT Commander- Save $8.00
winSPWW2- Save $5.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 3: The Awakening

Old February 6th, 2012, 11:28 AM

National Security Advisor

Edi is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Conquest of Elysium 3 dev log

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack_Trowell View Post
From what I understand some non casters leaders might have ability to those rituals, the Troll king is supposed to be able to call its Mum who is a caster while himself isn't.
Troll King doesn't do any rituals. Mum arrives via event, but boy can she do rituals...

By the way, Mum is not unique, so multiple troll kings duking it out is quite possible on an even playfield.
Old February 6th, 2012, 11:47 AM

Corporal

ArkhanTheBlack is on a distinguished road

Oops, almost forgot that Dom3 has experience. Didn't play it for a while now, and I can't remember it having a real impact.
Old February 6th, 2012, 12:48 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Gandalf Parker is on a distinguished road

For some of these it points to CoE3 being more event-oriented than Dom3 was. What global rituals did in Dom3 as far as changing the whole game for some nations at the harm of others, CoE3 does with events and some rituals.

The Troll Kinds Mum is a major factor. She shows up as a game event. First she suddenly sends gold to help her son. Then later a message says that she is unhappy with how he is doing things so she shows up to "take charge". Others have such events also. The Pale Ones Oracle appearing for instance. Both give their nations new resource needs and new abilities. Mum Troll can cast a ritual causing forests to become Troll Forests where powerful fungus can sprout up and increase, and carrion creatures can appear to wander away attacking everything.

There are also events such as the breach of the Realm of Death which causes disposessed spirits to appear in numbers dependent on the amount of death has been there (places you fought big battles to get suddenly cause another large battle to keep it). Or the Fungus Summer which increases the resource income of some such as Witches and can cause giant fungus to appear in forests or swamps.

Those are just some of the surprises that the game throws at you. AND of course the scenario commands can use timers or triggers to get more events written into downloadble scenarios that I am hoping people here will get into making.
This game is NOT suitable for students, interns, apprentices, or anyone else who is expected to pass tests on a regular basis. Do not think about strategies while operating heavy machinery. Before beginning this game make arrangements for someone to check on you daily. If you find that your game has continued for more than 36 hours straight then you should consult a physician immediately (Do NOT show him the game!)
Old February 6th, 2012, 01:02 PM

Corporal

onomastikon is on a distinguished road

Just curious what you beta testers believe so far to be the case: In Dom3, the least savory aspect of its combination of features for me was that summons are almost always much better than recruitable national units; this causes me to want to play games others do not particularly care for (e.g. very low site frequency, hard research, etc.), which does not "solve" my "problem" but makes things more like I prefer: viability of recruitable national units in all stages of the game.

How is this in CoE3? Is it the case here, too, to the same, lesser, or greater degree that summons makes recruiting troops quickly obsolete?
Thank you.
Old February 6th, 2012, 01:40 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Gandalf Parker is on a distinguished road

Well Dom3 was designed to be early game of exploration and expansion, mostly armored units. Then a mid-game more of research and forging. Then a late game where super combatants and major magics made a bigger emphasis.

I think CoE3 has the same. BUT since the game moves much quicker, there isnt such an extreme gap between them. If you let certain nations get powerful then you will see some extreme summons. But usually it happens when the armor specific armies are still capable.

ALSO CoE3 does allow for you to play with all players using just that type of nation. I suppose that if someone wanted to they could also write a scenario which specifically downgrades the magic nations.
Old February 6th, 2012, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by onomastikon View Post
Just curious what you beta testers believe so far to be the case: In Dom3, the least savory aspect of its combination of features for me was that summons are almost always much better than recruitable national units; this causes me to want to play games others do not particularly care for (e.g. very low site frequency, hard research, etc.), which does not "solve" my "problem" but makes things more like I prefer: viability of recruitable national units in all stages of the game.

How is this in CoE3? Is it the case here, too, to the same, lesser, or greater degree that summons makes recruiting troops quickly obsolete?
Thank you.
Short of some nations that can get massive income of resources because their resources are so very common, gold income is liable to be a lot more than the other special stuff, which means that you will be able to recruit far more armored troops.

And even the classes that can get massive resource income on short notice have the drawbaack that whereas a necro major summon costs 80 hands of glory, their costs somewhere around 750 resources unless they want to fight what they summoned.

Essentially, outside of some demon lords or the doom horrors, you will never be able to field summons alone that can guarantee you victory when facing regular troops. Super combatants in CoE3 are far less super than in Dom3. They cannot survive without supporting troops, because they can't kill the enemy fast enough and the insect stings of the normal infantry will eventually wear them down and kill them.

Put mage support behind the infantry and the summons rapidly become far less of a problem.

Some battlefield summon spells can turn the tide, but they are mainly restricted to the Demonologist and the Troll King's mum after she does an upgrade (which ain't cheap).
Old February 6th, 2012, 02:55 PM

Corporal

onomastikon is on a distinguished road

thank you very much
Old February 6th, 2012, 04:52 PM

Corporal

vladikus is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gandalf Parker View Post
Or when you have been fighting hard against a Troll King and the game announces that Gundar the Troll King is out of the game. But when you look, your opponents armies are still there because it was a different Troll King.
I had a question that was an offshoot of Gandalf's comment: if you take over an opposing class's last remaining citadel but still have other enemies to fight, then do the remaining troops of the recently defeated class become independents or disappear off the map?

Game Master Mod
Old February 6th, 2012, 05:22 PM

They disappear.
Old February 6th, 2012, 05:59 PM

Corporal

ArkhanTheBlack is on a distinguished road

I've just seen Gandalf's new AAR where his ally started on the other side of the map, and I wonder if it's possible to add an option to force allies to be close to each other.
I like to play cooperative games with friends and it's usually nice if you start close to each other so one is able to help the other. If both are positioned far way each one is more or less playing his own game.