Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > The Camo Workshop > WinSPWW2
Notices

Old January 18th, 2013, 11:58 AM

Private

MasterPiece3000 is on a distinguished road
Default Pillbox Firing HE at Armor When AP is Available

Scenario 282, Soviet Pillbox ABO is firing at a Germn Stug IIIe with HE rounds from it's 76mm cannon while AP is available. Any reason for this? I would think that it would use AP from the 76mm against the Stug.
Old January 18th, 2013, 01:14 PM

National Security Advisor

Thanked 1,853 Times in 1,217 Posts
Mobhack is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Pillbox Firing HE at Armor When AP is Available

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterPiece3000 View Post
Scenario 282, Soviet Pillbox ABO is firing at a Germn Stug IIIe with HE rounds from it's 76mm cannon while AP is available. Any reason for this? I would think that it would use AP from the 76mm against the Stug.

As it has no AP ammo for that gun - then it will fire HE. (Simply opening the unit up in the scenario editor will tell you that).

And even if it did have AP shot, as it is a short barrelled item then it may well not have much AP value beyond very short range. So it would still fire HE as that may have better AP value at range. Or the Stugs armour may be too much for its low AP value - so it may reserve that and fire HE instead.
Old January 18th, 2013, 07:35 PM

Private

I stated in my OP that AP is available for the pillbox's 76mm cannon. 40 rounds to be exact. Not sure why you are saying that no AP is available for that pillbox when even someone as green as I am in regards to this game can see this by simply performing a query on the aforementioned pillbox and looking at it's weaponry/ammo list. The Stug is 150 meters away from the pillbox. I would think that a 76mm cannon at 150 meters would engage AP ammo against a Stug at that range. Of course as you have pointed out the barrel length of the 76mm cannon could very well be the cause. The 76mm anti-tank cannons being used in the same scenario that are taking out the same Stugs with ease at 500 meters plus but the barrels on the 76mm obr's are long hence more rifling. I'll keep my eye on this and see if the Stug gets closer and notate the reaction of the pillbox or maybe play both sides myself and move the Stug next to the pillbox and see if the ammo choice changes. Thanks for the reply.

Last edited by MasterPiece3000; January 18th, 2013 at 07:43 PM.. Reason: Barrel length should of been mentioned instead of velocity of round. Velocity of round was never mentioned in this thread
Old January 18th, 2013, 08:51 PM

National Security Advisor

Thanked 1,853 Times in 1,217 Posts
Mobhack is on a distinguished road

Scenario 283 Crossing the Pruth was the nearest Soviet defend I could find (282 being a Vichy French & somebody thing)

AB0 there has no 76mm gun - it is a bunker with all MGs and rifles.

AC0 (by Punkt 243) has a 76mm L16 in slot 1 with 120 HE and no AP (unit 391 in the OOB). It also has a 107mm in slot 4.

There are 2 fort units in the OOB with that weapon - one is a bunker and uses the round icon (as in that scenario) and the other is a pillbox and uses a square icon. That one (unit 393) does have 40 rounds of AP. But it has a rifle in slot 4.

Unless you mean a completely different scenario than #283 Crossing the Pruth?. It's not 282 though. Naming the scenario as well as giving its number helps matters considerably.
Old January 19th, 2013, 04:00 AM

Private

Actually it's Scenario 287. 282 was the last scenario number I had in my notes. Sorry for the confusion.
Old January 19th, 2013, 05:45 AM

General

Imp is on a distinguished road

The answer will be as stated in the first reply look at the diffrence between the HE & AP penetration figures there is probably not much in it.

Quote:
And even if it did have AP shot, as it is a short barrelled item then it may well not have much AP value beyond very short range. So it would still fire HE as that may have better AP value at range. Or the Stugs armour may be too much for its low AP value - so it may reserve that and fire HE instead
Old January 19th, 2013, 08:06 AM

Private

OK, I'll take a peek at that. Didn't even think about it. Also, I have no idea what a scenario editor is since I've never had the need to edit a scenario. Nonetheless, my question is more or less cleared at this point.